This is the well-known rapper Waka Flocka Flame. 

You probably know that he sings "No Hands," "Hard in da Paint," and "Round of Applause," but you probably didn't know that he's a vegan and loves blueberry muffins. In February, Vice published an article on him, which included a video of him and fellow rapper Raury making vegan blueberry muffins. In the video, he announced the new lifestyle change and said he simply "didn't wanna be fat." 

When comparing his diet to other people's diets, he also said, "When I eat, I got energy. When they eat, they be sleeping." Vice also posted a separate article for the recipe. 

After watching the video and reading more about Waka and his veganism, I decided that I wanted to give the recipe a try. I'm a big fan of baked goods. My mom taught me everything I know about how to make the best cakes and cookies. However, all of our recipes usually include dairy and eggs. I was a little skeptical about how they would turn out, so I decided to give this recipe a go.

Vegan Blueberry Muffins

• 1 cup coconut milk or soy milk
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons coconut oil melted
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • zest 1 lemon
  • 1 1/2 to 2 cups fresh blueberries
tea, coffee
Bailee Dukes

Preheat the oven to 375˚F. Line a muffin tin with baking cups and set aside.

cake, chocolate, cookie
    Bailee Dukes

In a small bowl, combine lemon juice and coconut or soy milk. Set aside to allow milk to curdle (curdle effect will be better with soy milk).

coffee, milk, tea, cream, dairy product, egg
    Bailee Dukes

In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

flour, dough, milk, dairy product, cake, cereal, pastry
    Bailee Dukes

In a third large bowl, mix together sugar, coconut oil, lemon zest, and vanilla extract. Add coconut milk/lemon juice mixture and stir to combine. Gradually mix in dry ingredients until well incorporated, but do not over-mix – a few lumps are okay.

flour, cream, milk, dairy product, dough, sweet
    Bailee Dukes

Gently fold in blueberries.

blueberry, sweet, berry, cream, cake, yogurt
    Bailee Dukes

Spoon mixture into muffin tins, filling each cup about ¾ full. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean.

sweet, cookie, cake, pastry, chocolate
    Bailee Dukes

Remove from heat and allow muffins to cool before removing from pan.

cookie, cake, sweet, pastry, chocolate, blueberry, muffin, goody
    Bailee Dukes

The muffins came out amazing. The consistency was soft and fluffy. I was worried they would be a little dry, since the batter was thicker than what I'm used to for muffins. The lemon flavor was also a great touch. It added to the tartness of the blueberries

They honestly tasted better than the Bisquick muffins I'm used to making. I'm definitely going to use this recipe again and might even substitute a few ingredients to make new flavors (i.e. apple cinnamon, strawberry).

Also, in a blind taste test, I don't think anyone would be able to tell the difference between vegan muffins and regular muffins. Waka Flocka's vegan blueberry muffins definitely deserve a round of applause.