Helping my mom bake butterscotch gingerbread cookies in the kitchen is a Christmas tradition that dates back to my early childhood. Every sugar crystal poured into the batter gleams with memories of gifting the cookies to friends and sharing them at family gatherings. 

This recipe brings an exciting twist to a Christmas classic— butterscotch chips pair perfectly with the gingerbread cookie base to create a decadent holiday treat that is simple to make and easy to share (or easy to hoard in your cabinets). If you're looking for some new holiday traditions this season, whip up a batch of these butterscotch gingerbread cookies. You'll see why they've remained a family favorite for so long.

Butterscotch Gingerbread Cookies

• 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup butter or margarine room temperature
  • 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/3 cup light molasses
  • 1 11 ounce package Nestle Toll House Butterscotch Flavored Morsels
Katie Fraser

Preheat oven to 350° F.

Katie Fraser

Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt in small bowl.

Katie Fraser

Beat butter, sugar, egg and molasses in large mixer bowl until creamy.

Katie Fraser

Gradually beat in flour mixture until well blended. Stir in morsels.

Katie Fraser

Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 9 to 11 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned.

Katie Fraser

Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

Katie Fraser

Eat those cookies up (but don't forget to leave some for Santa)!

Katie Fraser

The wonderful thing about these butterscotch gingerbread cookies is that no matter how far I go, I can always count on them to bring me back home. Each mouthful of cookie melts into a sugary mass of delight like the ~symbolic~ melting pot that is the holiday season. The type of holiday you celebrate (or don't celebrate) doesn't matter—these butterscotch gingerbread cookies can be a new winter tradition that brings you as much joy as it has my family.