Nothing says "good morning" like a piping hot cup of coffee and toast slathered with colors of the rainbow. Unlike its namesake, unicorn toast is definitely real and needs to be a part of your breakfast regime ASAP. Don’t be deterred by its psychedelic appearance–it’s actually just naturally dyed cream cheese.

Food stylist Adeline Waugh was playing around with colors and loved the paintbrush effect she could create. Social media went crazy for it, dubbing the creation #unicorntoast. Some love it, while others are a tad skeptical of the pastel hues. Either way, this toast is the perfect breakfast for spring.

This vegan cream cheese recipe takes inspiration from Adeline's unicorn masterpiece and utilizes her suggestions for natural food alternatives in order to achieve the pastel hues. If you don't want to use natural food dyes, feel free to use a couple drops of artificial food dyes instead.

Unicorn Toast

• 1 cup cashews
  • 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
  • 1 lemon
  • Pinch salt
  • 1/4 tsp beet root powder
  • 1/4 tsp turmeric
  • 1/4 tsp spirulina
  • 1/4 tsp acai powder or freeze dried blueberries
  • Alternatively use artificial food dyes
cereal, vegetable
Erin Voss

Soak cashews in water for at least 4 hours or overnight.

vegetable, nut, cereal
    Erin Voss

Drain cashews and place them in a food processor or high speed blender with the nutritional yeast, lemon juice, and salt.

cream, peanut, peanut butter, ice cream, ice
    Erin Voss

Blend until it reaches a smooth consistency with no remaining chunks of nuts. You may need to stop the blades and scrape down the sides of the blender multiple times to make sure everything is mixing. If the mixture is too dry or thick, add a little water to thin.

chocolate, pastry, sweet, cream, cake
    Erin Voss

Remove cream cheese from the blender and divide into smaller dishes. Add a couple drops of food coloring or 1/4 tsp natural food dye to each dish and mix well.

peanut, peanut butter
    Erin Voss

Slather on cream cheese in different patterns. Add sprinkles if desired.

chocolate, cake
    Erin Voss

For those mornings when you need an extra sprinkle of magic, start your day with some unicorn toast because every day should feel like a a fairy tale.