This past New Year’s, one of my resolutions was to try new foods, and matcha, the green tea that’s been rapidly growing in popularity across the world, was at the top of my list. There was just one problem: buying matcha lattes at cafes or purchasing the necessary equipment to make one at home isn't exactly the most affordable endeavor, to say the least. It was out of this predicament that this matcha oatmeal recipe was born. 

Before hopping on the matcha bandwagon, I set out to find out what could make something that reportedly tastes like grass irresistible to so many. The answer seems to lie more in its properties (not to mention its status as a symbol of wealth and wellness) than its divisive taste. 

Matcha is a powder made of stone-ground green tea leaves. During cultivation, the leaves are shaded in order to boost the production of chlorophyll, which gives the powder the vibrant green color it’s known for. Shading also encourages the production of L-Theanine, the amino acid that accounts for matcha’s relaxing effect.

That’s not to say matcha will put you to sleep. A cup of matcha contains about two-thirds of the amount of caffeine in a cup of coffee, much more than other green teas. Matcha has also been claimed to have a number of health benefits, most of which are attributed to its high antioxidant content.

Regardless of its properties, the foodie in me wanted to see the bright green color of matcha powder up close and test its polarizing grassy flavor for myself. Preparing a "proper" matcha latte at home, however, requires several unique tools, including sifters, bamboo whisks, and milk frothers. What’s more, only the highest grade of matcha, which comes with a hefty price tag, is recommended for use in beverages.

So what’s a thrifty college student to do? I opted to buy culinary grade matcha, a cheaper, coarser matcha powder better suited for baking, and instead of messing with expensive latte preparation tools, I chose to add matcha powder to my basic morning oatmeal, a superfood in its own right and the perfect vessel for matcha's distinctive color and flavor. 

This simple matcha oatmeal recipe puts the earthy green hue and taste of matcha on full display. If you want to dive in and experience the full intensity of its herbal flavor, follow the recipe as is. If you're only looking to get your feet wet though, I recommend adding a tablespoon or so of sweetener to soften matcha's strong flavor and remove any bitterness.

In either case, topping the oatmeal with fresh fruit is a great way to add some natural sweetness. Cooking the oatmeal in coconut milk and finishing off the bowl with a sprinkle of shredded coconut gives the oatmeal some tropical flair that accents the matcha beautifully, so make sure not to skip out on those ingredients either!

Matcha Oatmeal

• 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
  • 1 cup coconut milk from a carton
  • 1/2 teaspoon matcha powder
  • optional 1 tablespoon sweetener choice
  • 1/2 cup chopped mango
  • 1/4 cup blueberries
  • 1 teaspoon unsweetened shredded coconut
Amelia Popowics

Combine the oats and coconut milk in a small saucepan. Cover and bring the mixture to a boil, then uncover and simmer over low heat.

Once simmering, stir in the matcha powder and sweetener, if using. Stirring frequently, cook until the oatmeal has reached your desired consistency, about 5 minutes.

Transfer the oatmeal into a bowl and top with the chopped mango, blueberries, and shredded coconut. Enjoy!

If you’re thinking about trying matcha for the first time, this is the way to do it. Simple and affordable, matcha oatmeal makes for a satiating breakfast and surprise for your taste buds. So next time you're feeling adventurous, cook up this steaming bowl of green goodness and see for yourself what all the buzz is about.