Thanks to the social media frenzy, the 'quarantine banana bread' has now been brutally beaten up with a bat. Now that we're finally settled into our quarantine routine, it's time to think healthy and hope that one day this summer, we will in fact, have to show off our bods in shorts and tie dye crop tops (so happy that tie dye came back). Although the last thing we should be worrying about right now is our diet, a healthy eating routine is exactly what we may need to beat this quarantine daze. By putting together some 5 easy, healthy recipes, you will no longer feel those cravings mid-day as you're binge-watching Too Hot to Handle. These are guilt-free snacks that you can happily eat through as you're watching Francesca frolic (and blow her money away). Plus, you can pat yourself on the back for the "hard work" preparing them. 

Disclaimer: I am in no way a supporter of the fellow Tik-Tokkers who are encouraging unhealthy eating habits during quarantine. Although we should be eating healthy, everyone should indulge every once in a while. Nobody can do quarantine perfectly (especially since this is our first time experiencing it). Don't listen to the Tik Tok influencers who are encouraging that you eat berries in the morning and 5 carrots for a snack. 

Overnight Oats

• Cook Time:2 hrs
  • Total Time:2 hrs 5 mins

• 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup dairy-free milk
  • 3/4 tbsp chia seeds
  • Preferred sweetener
  • Preferred toppings for later ex. raspberries banana blueberries chocolate chips etc.
Lily Sackman

Mix these three crucial ingredients together in a small bowl with your preferred sweetener. For wetter oats, add more milk. For a more thick texture, add more chia seeds. My preferred sweetener has always been maple syrup. Feel free to use stevia, peanut butter, almond butter or Nutella!

Lily Sackman

Give the mixture a few stirs to make sure the oats have been fully immersed in the milk.

Lily Sackman

Once stirred, transfer to a mason jar (or any kind of jar). Cover and let sit in refrigerator overnight.

Lily Sackman

The next morning, admire what you have created! Finally, add any toppings you wish. My go-to toppings have been banana, cacao nibs and raspberries.

My quarantine routine has been simple. I wake up at noon (I'm a senior ok?) and I make myself a bowl of oatmeal. However, now that I've run out of my Quaker instant oats, I've been in the mood for a fun alternative that I can look forward to right when I wake up. If you prepare these right before bed, overnight oats will be a quick grab-and-go (to the couch) as soon as you wake up. Most importantly, this will have you feeling full for hours. The fun part about overnight oats is the variety of toppings you can choose from!

Protein Bites

• 1 1/4 cup rolled oats
  • 2 tablespoons "power mix-ins" ex. chia seeds flax seeds or hemp seeds
  • 1/2 cup nut butter your choice
  • 1/3 cup sticky liquid sweetener--choose from honey or maple syrup
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup mix-ins -- see below for suggestions
Lily Sackman

Place all the ingredients in a large bowl. If the mixture seems too wet, add more oats. If it's too dry, add more nut butter. It should resemble a cookie-like dough that you can easily roll into balls with your hands.

Lily Sackman

Place the bowl in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to set (this will make it easier for the balls to roll later on)

Lily Sackman

Remove the bowl from the refrigerator and portion the dough into balls of desired size. Store balls in refrigerator and enjoy for up to 2 weeks.

Suggested mix-ins: chocolate chips, dried cranberries, chopped almonds, chopped peanuts, or raisins. For extra flare, add cinnamon or cocoa powder to taste!

These bites have been my go-to after my morning run! Perfect snack to hold you over between meals. Be careful though, these can be very filling after one or two. Make them last!  

Healthy Cookies (inspired by Liz Moody)

• 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup unsalted creamy almond butter or peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup almond flour
  • 1/4 tsp finely grained sea salt
  • 1/2 cup coconut sugar
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 cup rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate
  • Sea salt to sprinkle
Lily Sackman

Preheat oven to 375°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, beat together with a large spoon the egg, vanilla, and almond butter until combined. Stir in the almond flour, salt, coconut sugar, and baking soda until smooth. Finally, stir in the oats, chocolate chips and optional walnuts. Work the dough until everything is distributed (by the end I could hardly move my spoon anymore).

Lily Sackman

Scoop the dough into rounded teaspoonfuls and drop them onto the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with sea salt to taste. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until edges are golden brown.

Lily Sackman

Remove the cookies from the oven and let them cool on pan for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. The cookies are best when fresh (I usually eat all the cookies in 1 day). However, the cookies can be kept at room temperature for 2 to 3 days.

Lily Sackman

Cookies that are healthy? Never knew there was such a thing. But yes, we've done it.  This has been my go-to dessert when I'm craving something sweet and filling. Doesn't it suck when you're plowing through Oreo's and you're still hungry after one sleeve? No more processed cookies that leave you reaching for more! These cookies are delicious and have decent nutritious value.

Avocado Toast

• 1 8-ounce ripe avocado -- halved pitted and peeled
  • 2 slices any bread or bread substitute
  • Fine salt to taste
  • Freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or unsalted butter
  • Juice from 1/2 one lemon
  • Crushed red pepper flakes -- optional
Lily Sackman

Mash the avocado with a fork in a shallow bowl until chunky. Season with fine salt and black pepper.

Toast the bread until browned and crisp. Lightly rub 1 side of each slice with the cut side of the garlic until fragrant; discard the garlic. Lightly brush the toasts with oil, and season with fine salt and pepper. Divide the mashed avocado evenly among the toasts, and top with more flaky sea salt, more black pepper and red pepper flakes using.

Taking basic to a whole new level with avocado toast. Do you know you can make your avo toast even more delicious by sprinkling in a couple more ingredients? This is my go-to dish after my morning workouts, especially when I'm craving carbs. If you're feeling fancy, top with a poached egg. I went crazy with red onion and 'everything but the bagel' seasoning from Trader Joe's. 

Israeli Salad

• Cook Time:0

• 1/2 one English cucumber
  • 1 cup grape tomatoes chopped into quarters
  • 1/2 one Hass avocado
  • 1/4 cup red onions
  • 1 tbsp hummus
  • Black pepper to taste
  • Pinch salt to taste
Lily Sackman

Chop all vegetables and place into a serving bowl.

Stir the vegetables with one tablespoon of hummus, making sure it is evenly dispersed.

Finally, top your dish with pepper, salt and any other toppings you desire.