There's perhaps no more iconic breakfast than a plate of  triangle-sliced french toast with fruit, maple syrup, and a side of butter. Growing up, I remember how big of a deal it was when my dad decided to do away with his dinner plans and bring out the bag of bread, skillet, and bottle of [Vermont] maple instead. Now, I'm constantly trying to find healthy, vegan substitutes for my favorite childhood foods. I'm a big fan of breakfast food, if you couldn't tell, so I wanted to find a recipe that would mimic the flavor of traditional french toast as much as possible- without the eggs and the cream. Here's my take on vegan french toast! 

For this recipe, I used two slices of Angelic Bakehouse's Sprouted 7 Grain Bread. Each slice has 4g of protein and 3g of fiber, making it a delicious and nutritious option for this recipe. Any kind of hearty bread will do, such as a sourdough or a seedy loaf, as long as it can withstand the liquid from the batter.

I served this recipe alongside some fresh sliced strawberries. The batter isn't very sweet (you can add more maple syrup to the batter to make it sweeter, if you prefer), so you can use a variety of creative toppings to add a depth of flavor. You can macerate some fresh berries, add a little whipped cream, or even spread a layer of your favorite nut butter on top! If you want crunch, add some chopped nuts.

Vegan French Toast

• 2 slices Angelic Bakehouse 7 Grain Sprouted Bread
  • 1/2 cup almond milk
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1/2 tbsp. maple syrup; plus additional for serving
  • 1 tbsp. all-purpose or whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 tbsp. nutritional yeast
  • Cooking oil to coat pan
Sara Klimek

Whisk all ingredients (besides bread) in shallow dish with sides. Heat coated skillet on medium-low heat.

Sara Klimek

Gently dip bread into mixture to coat. Flip bread to ensure that all sides of the bread are covered in the mixture.

Sara Klimek

Place bread into skillet. Cook 3-4 minutes on each side, or until slightly browned.

Sara Klimek

Slice and serve!

Sara Klimek