Not many foods taste better in drink form. Pizza? Disgusting. Spaghetti and meatballs? Excuse me while I gag. But chocolate covered strawberries? This Strawberry Chocolate Chip Shake proves that this classic Valentine’s Day treat is even better when it’s all blended up.

Why? Chocolate covered strawberries are a hassle to make at home. First you have to clean the strawberries, which usually means throwing away half of the carton because they’re moldy. Then, you run the risk of burning chocolate as you melt it in your microwave, leaving your kitchen reeking for hours afterward. And then there’s the seemingly simple matter of decorating the strawberries, a process that inevitably ends with you vigorously scrubbing hardened chocolate off your counter (and walls, depending on how carried away you got). If that all wasn’t enough to test your patience, then you have to wait for the chocolate to chill and set! Needless to say, it’s not the most romantic way to spend your Valentine’s Day.

Eating chocolate covered strawberries is a whole other beast. No matter how delicate you try to be, the chocolate shell always seems to fracture completely after your first bite, dropping chocolate shards all over you and your nice clothes (or your favorite sweatshirt, if you’re spending the holiday on the couch watching romance movies and throwing chocolate at the screen à la Elle Woods).

That’s why this milkshake is here, swooping in and saving you from spending time making a fancy dessert that will, in all likelihood, end up in pieces on your floor or melted all over your fingers. This pretty pink milkshake is thick enough that you can enjoy it all by yourself with a big spoon, but if you want to share with your lucky lover and slurp it up with two straws like they do in the movies, go right ahead. Either way, none of that sweet strawberry and chocolate goodness is going to waste.

This Strawberry Chocolate Chip Shake won’t leave you with a sick stomach or a sugar spike like most Valentine’s Day sweets either, because it’s made with only five healthy ingredients, no added sugar, and can easily be made vegan. The secret ingredient that makes it so creamy and sweet without ice cream is the magical Japanese sweet potato, which has light purple skin and white flesh that becomes smooth and sweet once baked. Just roast the potato whole in the oven and add the mashed insides to your blender for a ridiculously silky consistency. 

I understand if you’re skeptical. Potatoes in milkshakes? Trust me. The strawberries dominate the potato’s light color and flavor, so you’ll be left with a charming pink milkshake that tastes just like those fussy chocolate covered strawberries you love.

Strawberry Chocolate Chip Shake

• 1/2 cup roasted and mashed Japanese sweet potato
  • 1 cup frozen strawberries
  • 1/2 cup regular or nondairy milk
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp unsweetened chocolate
Amelia Popowics

Roast a Japanese sweet potato whole, skin on, in the oven at 425° Fahrenheit for about 45 minutes, or until tender. Scoop out the insides, mash them with a fork, and measure out 1/2 cup.

Amelia Popowics

Combine all ingredients except for the chocolate in a blender and blend until smooth.

Add the chocolate and pulse for a few seconds until there are chocolate chips evenly dispersed throughout the shake.

Pour the shake into a tall glass and top with more chocolate and shredded coconut. Enjoy!

Amelia Popowics

By now, I hope I’ve convinced you that this strawberry chocolate chip milkshake > chocolate covered strawberries. Still unsure? Try it for yourself! If you’re really dead set on making chocolate covered strawberries though, check out this guide to preparing them or this recipe’s easy shortcut. Valentine’s Day is the holiday of love, and I can’t think of a better way to celebrate than with the time-tested pairing of chocolate and strawberries.