Unpopular opinion: I love pumpkin but hate PSLs. Don't get me wrong, I love Starbucks and I love pumpkin, but put them together and it's just not for me. Just because I don't like to drink my pumpkin doesn't mean I can't eat it instead. I like pumpkin chocolate chip muffins and pumpkin streusel bread around this time of year, but my favorite way to consume pumpkin in savory dishes is with gnocchi. That's why this pumpkin sauce gnocchi dish lets you eat seasonally in a non-basic way. 

Sausage Gnocchi With Pumpkin Sauce

• 2 Italian sausages
  • 1 package gnocchi or mini gnocchi
  • 1 jar pumpkin pasta sauce
  • shredded mozzarella or parmesan cheese
Lauren Pahmeier

Cut the casings on the Italian sausages and squeeze the meat into a pan.

Lauren Pahmeier

Brown the sausage, and soak up additional oil after cooked.

Lauren Pahmeier

Get the water boiling as the sausage finishes. Carefully pour half the gnocchi into the boiling water.

Lauren Pahmeier

After just a few minutes, the gnocchi will float, and that's how you know they're done. Drain the gnocchi, but don't rinse them.

Lauren Pahmeier

Combine the cooked gnocchi, browned sausage and around one-third of the pumpkin sauce into the same pot as the gnocchi boiled in.

Lauren Pahmeier

After the sauce is heated up, add a handful of your choice of mozzarella or parmesan cheese until it's melty.

Lauren Pahmeier

Plate and enjoy!

Lauren Pahmeier

Although unexpected, the Italian sausage gives the dish a nice heartiness and a necessary flavor kick. Personally, I love putting Italian sausage in lots of different pasta dishes, as opposed to ground beef too.  

While pumpkin is the ultimate seasonal food, squash might be a close second. I also love this Butternut Squash Gluten-Free Pasta Sauce from World Market that you can interchange with the pumpkin pasta sauce in this dish. Either way you choose, enjoy this savory dish to and consume pumpkin the natural way–eat, not drink it.