Granola is undoubtedly the golden child of snacks. With its crunchy blend of sweet-and-salty oats, nuts and other mix-ins, granola is both satisfying and healthy, a combo that can’t be beat. Plus, it’s portable, versatile and easy to make.  

meat, walnut, nut
Weichen Yan

Granola is for everyone. Back in 2011, chef Daniel Humm published a simple granola recipe in The New York Times. Humm, who runs the posh Eleven Madison Park restaurant in New York City, whips up batches of granola to send home with diners. So, after seeing this recipe, my mom and I quickly became addicted to baking his granola.

Throughout the years we've experimented and made a few tweaks. The result? Our own version of crispy, nutty granola that proves wholesome, comforting and delicious. 

Healthy Granola

• 2 3/4 cups rolled oats
  • 1 cup shelled pistachios
  • 1/2 cup slivered almonds
  • 1 cup unsweetened coconut chips
  • 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup maple syrup
  • 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
granola, cereal
Sophie Rodosky

Preheat oven to 300° Fahrenheit. In a large bowl, mix the first six ingredients.

nut, cereal
    Sophie Rodosky

In a small saucepan over low heat, heat the sugar, maple syrup and olive oil until the sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and fold into the oat mixture until all dry ingredients are thoroughly coated.

Sophie Rodosky

Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and spread granola evenly over it. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, until dry and golden. Occasionally stir the granola while it bakes.

Sophie Rodosky

Remove the granola from the oven and allow it to cool to room temperature before moving it to a storage container.

almond, cereal, nut, granola
    Sophie Rodosky

With its sweet-and-salty, coconut-y flavors, this granola is perfect eaten by the handful, sprinkled on yogurt or smoothie bowls, or used as a topping for a baked fruit crisp. In any case, its nutritious, protein-packed ingredients will help you power through hot summer days and, I hate to say it, those tiring first few weeks of classes.