Picture this: it's a rainy day, the sky is perfectly cloudy, and all you want to do is curl up in a warm blanket with a cup of tea. But you can't have just any tea-- a rainy day always goes best with a warm cup of ginger chai tea. With its immense health benefits and and exotic flavor, ginger makes even the blandest tea taste fantastic. Having grown up in India, a cup of spiced tea in the morning has always been a must, which is why in college, I needed a simple chai recipe to satisfy my craving. This one has been my go-to on lazy mornings. The best part? It takes only a couple of minutes to make. 

Ginger chai

• 2-3 teaspoons black tea
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 inch piece chopped ginger
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar

Begin by adding the cup of water along with the chopped ginger into a saucepan, and heating it until the water boils

At this point, add the sugar and allow the mixture to simmer

Add 2-3 teaspoons of tea leaves into this, and allow it to reach the boiling point.

The milk is added to this spicy concoction at the end, and the chai is allowed to simmer for a minute more with the milk.

Siya Chandrie

Use a strainer to separate the tea leaves and ginger from the tea before it is served.

Siya Chandrie

Boiling the tea for several minutes allows the tea leaves and ginger to infuse well into the water, and this strong flavor is perfectly complemented by the creaminess of the milk. 

This spicy ginger tea recipe is my favorite way to begin the day, and has rejuvenated me after several finals-week naps. For maximum effect, pair it with cookies, rusk bread, or even cake. If you love ginger, and a good cup of tea, this is the perfect way to combine the two to create the ultimate comfort drink.