Packed into your cookies and doughnuts, heavily coating your french fries, and thickening your gravy, flour is in practically everything you want to eat. The idea that the best treats like this flourless chocolate cake could be just as flavorful without it seems improbable to the average baker. But as gluten-free recipes have gained popularity, so has the practice of experimenting without flour in baking. 

This flourless chocolate cake is incredibly dense and chocolatey, a dessert you would never guess was flourless. I used Scharffen Berger dark chocolate bars, but this recipe is just as good with Hershey'sCadbury, Mast Brothers, Lindt, or others. Enjoy!

Flourless Chocolate Cake

• Total Time:1 hr 5 mins

• 12 oz or 4 bars bittersweet chocolate
  • 2/3 cup unsalted butter
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 5 eggs
espresso, chocolate, tea, coffee
Julia Rosenbaum

Preheat oven to 350°F. You will eventually pour the cake batter into a 9 1/2 inch spring form pan. Before you start making it, grease the pan on all sides and the base.

Place the chocolate, butter, and sugar into one bowl. In order to double boil, fill a sauce pan with 2-3 inches of water. This will allow you to place a metal bowl with the ingredients on top of the water to float. You don't want to put your ingredients directly onto the heat because the goal is to slowly melt your chocolate.

coffee, sweet, candy, milk chocolate, milk, chocolate

Once your bowl of ingredients is floating in the pan of water, turn the heat on high. When the water starts to boil, your chocolate and butter will begin to melt. This should take anywhere between 5 and 10 minutes.

chocolate

Once it's melted, set it aside to cool. In the mean time, separate the whites from the yolks for five eggs. Beat the whites until they create firm peaks. Once the chocolate is cooled, whisk in the yolks. Then, whisk in 1/3 of the egg whites. Fold in the remaining 2/3 of the egg whites.

dough, cake, chocolate

Pour your chocolate batter into the springform pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes, and enjoy your fudgey goodness!

sweet, pudding, chocolate, cream