Bacon is basically America's national food. Many eat bacon during breakfast, and there's no shame in eating it for lunch, dinner, or in-between meals. Bacon is such a huge deal in America, but what about for those who choose to not eat it? Can they still satisfy their bacon cravings?

The answer is yes, because we have an awesome coconut bacon recipe that might even be better than the real thing.

Coconut Bacon

• 1 cup large unsweetened coconut flakes
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons liquid smoke
  • 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
  • Pinch paprika optional
chips
Alyssa Nurre

Preheat oven to 350º F.

beer, coffee, tea
    Alyssa Nurre

Measure out the coconut flakes into a medium-sized bowl and set aside. Combine everything else into a small bowl.

beer, coffee, tea
    Alyssa Nurre

Drizzle the combined liquid smoke, soy sauce, and maple syrup onto the coconut flakes. Mix until each flake is evenly coated with sauce.

Alyssa Nurre

Lay out the flakes evenly on a lightly-greased baking sheet, or on top of parchment paper. You may have to use two baking sheets.

cereal, rice
    Alyssa Nurre

Bake for 12-14 minutes, depending on how crispy you want your "bacon" to be. It is important to stir about every 5 minutes. Keep a close eye on the flakes when they're close to being done, as they may burn quickly.

pork
    Alyssa Nurre

Side notes:

- Finding large unsweetened coconut shreds are sometimes hard to locate (surprisingly, even in Hawaiʻi) so make sure to call the store in advance to save multiple trips to different grocery stores. 

- There are different flavors of liquid smoke; I used Hickory. You can really identify the smokey flavor, so make sure to pick one you like.

- Don't worry if your flakes aren't crispy when they start turning brown. Once you take them out, they will crisp up more.

Voila, you have yourself a healthier plate of "bacon" to satisfy your cravings!