Spoon University Logo
Recipes

This Brown Butter Pumpkin Bread Is Perfect For Fall

The following recipe for Brown Butter Pumpkin Bread is from Sloane Papa, available on her website Sloane’s Table.

Fall is here and that means all things pumpkinpumpkin ravioli, pumpkin pie, and of course pumpkin bread. Sloane Papa’s brown butter pumpkin bread will be your new favorite fall recipe! It’s incredibly soft, filled with sweet pumpkin purée, warm pumpkin spice, and rich, nutty brown butter.

Papa’s passion for baking emerged from a challenging period in her life. As a competitive springboard diver, she spent years training rigorously, even as chronic back and hip pain began to take a toll. Baking became her solace, a therapeutic escape that allowed her to channel her energy into something creative and comforting. While studying abroad in Greece in 2019 as a Classics major at Dartmouth ignited her desire to immerse herself fully in the culinary world. Inspired by the rich culture, history, and food she encountered, Papa decided to turn her love for baking into a full-time endeavor. By 2020, she had founded Sloane’s Table, where she now shares her passion for baking while managing her chronic pain on her own terms. Sloane’s Table is more than just a collection of recipes; it’s Papa’s way of celebrating the joy that baking brings. With 123K followers on Instagram, Papa has created a platform dedicated to showcasing “bakery-worthy recipes from scratch.” Her methodical approach ensures that even the most complex recipes are accessible to home bakers. With detailed and insightful step-by-step instructions, Papa guides her audience to bake with confidence, whether they are novices or seasoned bakers.

Brown Butter Pumpkin Bread

Difficulty:BeginnerPrep time: 30 minutesCook time:1 hour Total time:1 hour 30 minutesServings:8 servings

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a pullman pan or 9×5 loaf pan with parchment paper.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice. Set aside.
  3. Brown the butter: In a small saucepan, add 297 grams of unsalted butter and place over medium heat. As the butter melts, stir it with a rubber spatula to encourage even cooking. Once the butter has fully melted, it will alternate between rapid large bubbles and gentle small foamy bubbles. The butter will be ready once it turns a dark golden color and the fat solids have darkened and settled at the bottom of the pan. Immediately pour into a large bowl, scraping out the fat solids at the bottom, and weigh out to 227 grams (1 cup). Pour the remainder into a small bowl, and place in the fridge to solidify.
  4. To the brown butter, whisk in the sugars, then the eggs and vanilla until fully combined. Then, whisk in the pumpkin purée.
  5. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and gently mix until fully combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth out the top.
  6. Transfer the remaining solidified brown butter to a piping bag and snip the end off. Use a knife to draw a straight line down the center of the batter. Pipe the brown butter along the line. Sprinkle pumpkin seeds on top, if desired.
  7. Bake the pumpkin bread for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes or until a deeply golden and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow the pumpkin bread to cool completely in the pan.
  8. Use a serrated knife to cut individual slices and enjoy!

Notes

• Be sure to use pure pumpkin purée, NOT pumpkin pie filling.
  • Start with a few extra tablespoons of butter, since water evaporates as it browns. Also, keep in mind that European-style butter has less water content, so if you’re using American-style butter you might want to start with even more butter.
  • Use the remaining brown butter to pipe a line down the center of the batter. As it bakes, this line of butter will encourage to split down the middle evenly.
Keywords:Baked Goods, Butter, Fall, Pumpkin
Giselle Medina is the associate editor for Spoon University where she helps oversee food coverage of news, pop culture, trends, and celebrities. As someone with a huge sweet tooth, she's always on the hunt for a good chocolate chip cookie. Shoot her an email at gisellemedina@hercampus.com or follow her @giselle_medinaa.