As a child, nothing made me happier than spending time baking up on the kitchen counter. Every year for my birthday, I would make Bishop's Cake with my mom and bring it in to share with my friends and classmates at school. Before we knew it, my teachers and friends would be begging us to bring them a cake every holiday season and even sometimes during parent-teacher conferences.

Funny enough, we made Bishop's Cake so often in my house that I had memorized the family recipe before I even knew my own home phone number. Although customarily a dessert, this cake is similar to any Bundt cake in that it is an amazing breakfast, lunch, snack, or even dinner, especially if you're like me and truly want to eat it all day. The recipe is super simple if made with an electric mixer and is guaranteed to be a crowd pleaser with any group that has tastebuds of any sort. 

This cake is a definite hit, so, with that, here is my family Bishop's Cake recipe that will make you want to eat cake all day, everyday.

Bishop's Cake

• Cook Time:1 hr
  • Total Time:1 hr 10 mins

• 2 sticks butter
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 cups flour
  • 5 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 cup chocolate chips

Measure out ingredients.

coffee, tea, egg
    Izzi Weiss

Mix butter and sugar together with electric mixer.

cream, salt, milk, rice
    Izzi Weiss

Add flour in slowly while keeping electric mixer on low.

cream, milk, sweet, salt
    Izzi Weiss

Crack in one egg at a time, fully mixing each before adding the next.

sweet, egg
    Izzi Weiss

Pour in lemon juice.

sweet, cream
    Izzi Weiss

Pour in vanilla and mix well.

sweet, cream
    Izzi Weiss

Fold chocolate chips into the batter.

coffee, allspice, cereal, relish, condiment, herb, pepper
    Izzi Weiss

Pour batter into greased and floured pan.

sweet, pastry, bread
    Izzi Weiss

Bake at 350ºF for one hour or until golden brown on top. Flip out of pan and slice once cooled.

chocolate, cake
    Izzi Weiss

Now that you see the final product, some of you may be thinking that this cake looks incredibly familiar. Well, it is probably just from My Big Fat Greek Wedding when Ian's parent's bring a strange cake with a hole in it causing lots of drama within the Portokalos family.

My family has now adopted this as a running joke, so every time we have Bishop's Cake, we walk around exclaiming, "there's a hole in this cake" in our best attempt to channel Gus and his family's Greek antics. 

Now, with this recipe, you can enjoy the same cake, just like my family and just like the Portokalos. I promise people won't be nearly as confused when you bring your Bishop's Cake somewhere as they were in the movie, but, if they are, just offer them a bite and they will gladly understand exactly why you made it.