Biscotti is a great treat to have with your coffee or tea, but there are so many different flavors of biscotti. Instead of trying a new recipe for each flavor you want, I have one universal biscotti recipe that can be made into so many different flavors based on extracts, add-ins, and/or nuts you may use. Below is a list of just some of the ideas for flavors to make out of this basic biscotti recipe, all of which I have tried myself and loved:

• Cinnamon pecan or walnut – sprinkle cinnamon sugar on each slice before the second bake and use chopped pecans or walnuts (what is photographed above)
  • Vanilla almond – use chopped almonds and add another teaspoon of vanilla extract
  • Apricot walnut – use chopped dried apricots and chopped walnuts
  • Cardamom spice – add 1 tsp. ground cardamom, 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon, and 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg (best with chopped almonds)
  • Chocolate chip – reduce amount of chopped nuts to 3/4 cup and add 3/4 cup chocolate chips (best with chopped pecans)

This recipe is so adaptable, that the possibilities really are endless.

Biscotti

• Prep Time:20 minutes
  • Cook Time:40 minutes
  • Total Time:1 hour
  • Servings:3 to 4 dozen biscotti

• 3/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3 cup flour
  • 1 cup chopped nuts
  • Any combination of add-ins
Photo by Katherine O'Malley

Preheat the oven to 350°F and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, beat the oil, sugar, eggs, salt, and vanilla extract until combined.

Photo by Katherine O'Malley

Add the baking powder and baking soda and mix until combined.

Photo by Katherine O'Malley

Add the flour, one cup at a time, and beat until no streaks of flour remain.

Photo by Katherine O'Malley

Add the chopped nuts and any add-ins you may be using now and mix well.

Photo by Katherine O'Malley

Pour the dough out onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and spread into a log. Depending on what size you’d like, you can make the log(s) bigger or smaller. I made two logs (on two separate baking sheets because they spread a lot).

Photo by Katherine O'Malley

Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet.

Recipe by Katherine O'Malley

Transfer one log at a time to a cutting board and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices. Place back on parchment-lined baking sheets (use a new piece of parchment) and bake for another 5 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp.

Photo by Katherine O'Malley