“Kuchen,” the German word for “cake,” is a staple in the diets of Germans around the world. Whether it's fluffy, fruity or velvety, the Germans are experts at pleasing their national sweet tooth. 

This apple kuchen recipe has been in my family for five generations, beginning with my grandfather’s grandmother in the Pfalz (a region in Southern Germany). During the holidays, my grandma would bake this thin-crusted cake and serve it alongside lebkuchen, the German version of gingerbread cookies.  

I’m a diluted half Indian, half German mutt, but I dug out this old recipe and kneaded the butter crust to perfection. Slap on some apples and cinnamon, and you’ve got yourself a Deutschland delicacy!

Authentic Apple Kuchen

• 4 cups flour
  • 4 sticks butter
  • 2 eggs room temperature
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 5-6 apples
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon
  • Raisins
  • Lemon juice
chocolate
Mackenzie Patel

Combine flour, butter, eggs, and sugar in a bowl. Stir until soft dough is formed. You might have get your hands dirty and knead with your fingers!

flour
    Mackenzie Patel

Slice apples and toss in a bowl with lemon juice, cinnamon, and brown sugar.

chicken, pork, vegetable, meat
    Mackenzie Patel

In a circular cake pan, flatten dough with fingers until a buttercrust is formed. Make sure to spread dough onto the edges of the pan as well so a "lip" is created. This recipe might require two cake pans to use up the dough, depending on how large yours is.

dairy product, cream, coffee, milk, sweet
    Mackenzie Patel

Arrange apple slices in the dough in a fan pattern, going in circles until all the apples are used up.

beef, bread, pork, meat
    Mackenzie Patel

Top with leftover cinnamon and sprinkle with raisins.

apple, sweet
    Mackenzie Patel

Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until a golden crust is formed.

blueberry
    Mackenzie Patel

Is your tummy rumbling for German goodness and butter crust? Whip up this easy cake and you’ll be daydreaming of lederhosen, the Brandenburg Gate, and Oktoberfest in no time. Tschüss!