Imagine: It's a chilly day in November/December, and holiday spirit is in the air. All you want to do is settle into the couch with a blanket, your favorite warm beverage, and a thick slice of freshly baked apple pie. Now, what if I told you that you could have that slice of apple pie in cupcake form, and it could be made in under an hour? No, my friend, this is no joke. This recipe for healthy apple pie angel food cupcakes is exactly what you need this holiday season.

I've been making this recipe by Threads & Scraps for a year or so now, and let me tell you, it never fails to be a home run with whoever eats it. With some tweaks to the original formula, we have a cupcake recipe that is not only simple, sweet, moist, and decorated with a spiced whipped topping, but also fairly low calorie thanks to its angel food cake base. I can guarantee that as soon as you bite into one of these cupcakes and get a mouthful of juicy apple slices, you'll be in love. 

So grab your baking utensils and preheat that oven! These treats are perfect for the Thanksgiving season, your upcoming Christmas gatherings, or even to keep around the house. Just don't forget to share!

Healthy Apple Pie Angel Food Cupcakes

• Box Angel Food Cake Mix
  • 21 oz. Can Apple Pie Filling
  • 8 oz. Container Cool Whip
  • Ground Cinnamon
  • Ground Nutmeg
Lexi Shepherd

Preheat the oven to the temperature provided in the angel food cake instructions and empty the angel food cake mix into a bowl.

Lexi Shepherd

Add the entire can of apple pie filling to the angel food cake mix - no water needed!

Lexi Shepherd

Use a spatula to gently fold the angel food cake mix and apple pie filling together. You want to combine the ingredients with a spatula versus using a mixer to help preserve the integrity of the apples. It may take a few minutes, but over time, the thick syrup from the apple pie filling will dampen the cake mix, and the mixture will become thick and sticky. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl thoroughly to make sure there is no angel food cake mix left unincorporated.

Lexi Shepherd

Use a spoon to add the cupcake mix to cupcake liners. Fill each cupcake liner to the brim or just below. The great thing about these cupcakes is that if they rise above the brim of the liner, they don't overflow outwards, but upwards, making for a taller cupcake. Pretty!

Lexi Shepherd

Add a dusting of cinnamon and nutmeg to each cupcake before placing them in the oven to bake for approximately 23 minutes.

Lexi Shepherd

While the cupcakes are baking, make the spiced whipped topping. Stir cinnamon and nutmeg into the container of cool whip to meet your personal taste. Some might want more spice, some might want less - this is up to you! Once finished, set the container back in the fridge until it's time to decorate the cupcakes.

Lexi Shepherd

Bake the apple pie angel food cupcakes for approximately 23 minutes, or until a toothpick can be stuck in the middle of a cupcake and come out free of batter. Once the cupcakes are done, take them out of the cupcake pan and allow them to cool on the counter.

Lexi Shepherd

Once the cupcakes are completely cool, top them with a helping of spiced whipped topping and serve!

Lexi Shepherd