The following excerpt and recipe for Thick & Chewy Chocolate Chunk Cookies is from Dan Langan's new cookbook "BAKE YOUR HEART OUT," available now on Amazon

Every few months another recipe comes along to break the internet and revive the age-old debate about what makes a perfect chocolate chip cookie. Some people advocate for crunchy and light; others demand theirs be dense and chewy. While these hand-mixed whoppers are not exactly light, they have a deliciously crunchy exterior that encases a moist, almost fudgy interior for the best of both worlds. The secret to their texture is sweetened condensed milk, an unconventional ingredient that gives the dough a touch of caramel flavor. Melted butter and egg yolks prevent the dough from incorporating too much air for a cookie that bakes up with a tight crumb and a chewy center. As far as I’m concerned, they are just about perfect. Let the debate begin! 

Thick & Chewy Chocolate Chunk Cookies

• 2 sticks unsalted butter melted
  • 1 1/3 cups lightly packed light brown sugar
  • 1½ tsp fine salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
  • 2 large egg yolks
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 2¾ cups all-purpose flour
  • 12 ounces coarsely chopped semisweet chocolate or semisweet chocolate chunks
  • Flaky salt for sprinkling optional
Photographs © 2023 Rikki Snyder

In a large bowl, stir together the melted butter, brown sugar*, salt, and baking soda. Mix with a rubber spatula until combined, breaking up any sugar lumps. Add the condensed milk, egg yolks, and vanilla, and combine thoroughly, but try not to incorporate any air. Stir in the flour and mix until nearly combined, then stir in the chocolate pieces.
    *Baker’s note: Use dark brown sugar in place of the light brown for a cookie with even more butterscotch flavor.

Use a large (¼ cup) scoop to portion the dough onto a parchment-lined baking sheet or plate. Cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight.

To bake, preheat the oven to 350°F with a rack in the center position. Line one or more rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.

Arrange 6 cookies on each baking sheet. Flatten the dough balls to about 1 inch thick and sprinkle with a bit of flaky salt (if using). Bake the cookies on the center rack, one sheet at a time, for 18 to 20 minutes, or until the edges are golden and the centers no longer look wet. The cookies will puff up but will settle as they cool. Let the cookies cool completely on the baking sheets. Store the cookies in an airtight container for 3 to 4 days.

Recipes reprinted with permission from Bake Your Heart Out: Foolproof Recipes to Level Up Your Home Baking by Dan Langan © 2023. Published by Union Square & Co. Photographs © 2023 Rikki Snyder.