I'm always on the hunt for new vegan comfort foods. Whether its a warm soup or a bowl of pasta, you truly can't beat a dish that brings both emotional satisfaction and tons of flavor. Unfortunately, most of the "comfort foods" out there aren't vegan- so that means I have to get creative to make flavors and textures meld together. That being said, this recipe for vegan stuffed shells is the perfect medley! 

This recipe was originally derived from a vegan lasagna recipe that my mom would make when I first became a vegan. Instead of traditional ricotta, both recipes use spinach and extra-firm tofu seasoned with spices and nutritional yeast.

The trick with making the pasta for stuffed shells is to par-cook them prior to adding to the baking dish. The ideal texture is somewhat al dente because they are going to soften when they're in the oven. If you don't have access to shells, you can also use lasagna or manicotti rolls. 

Vegan Stuffed Shells

• Total Time:1 hr

• 1 pack extra firm tofu crumbled.
  • 8 oz. fresh spinach steamed and chopped
  • 3 tbsp. nutritional yeast
  • 1 tsp. onion powder
  • 1 tbsp. liquid aminos
  • 2 cloves garlic minced
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. pepper
  • 18 jumbo pasta shells
  • 4 cups tomato sauce
Sara Klimek

Cook jumbo shells according to package directions. I used Barilla's boxed shells and boiled them for 10 minutes.

Sara Klimek

In large bowl, add crumbled tofu, spinach, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic, salt, pepper, and liquid aminos. Toss until well combined.

Sara Klimek

Line bottom of baking dish with a layer of pasta sauce.

Sara Klimek

Spoon tofu filling into shells. Gently pack them with a spoon, but do not overstuff. Place opening-up inside baking dish.

Sara Klimek

Once all shells are assembled, ladle sauce on top. Cover with aluminum foil and bake in oven for 15 minutes at 400°.

Sara Klimek

Remove foil, reduce heat to 375°, and bake for an additional 10 minutes.

Sara Klimek