It's spring semester, and thankfully, that means we can all relax a little bit (even if it's not in our best interests). This semester is notorious for partying. Whether it's your sign night, a birthday party or a bank holiday, time off means time to get together with friends. And everyone knows that the best parties have food. So it makes sense that when I asked my tarot deck about the state of the universe this week, its answer was clear: get your party on. And these truffle mac 'n' cheese cups are sure to help you on your mission. 

Card Analysis: Six of Coins

Katrina Lee

The Six of Coins is the sixth card in the coins suit, which represents material possessions, wealth and and your outer surroundings. This card tells you that if you've been feeling better about your finances and your position in the social sphere, trust that feeling. You've made it through a tough time. Maybe you had a rough first semester, and the sweet reprieve of winter break came to calm your nerves and revitalize your energy (and, most likely, your wallet). 

Now it's time to celebrate in the best way possible: with generosity. Mac 'n' cheese is a crowd pleaser, and baking it in a muffin tin is an easy way to turn pasta into a finger food. Because you have a little extra cash in your pocket, treat the friends who helped you get through your hardships with a little bit of luxury.

Adding a little bit of truffle oil to anything instantly ups the oomf factor, and, oh my god, it tastes so good. A small glass bottle from Publix costs $10, but as it should be used sparingly, it'll definitely last you until the next time you want to feel a little luxurious. 

The Recipe: Truffle Mac 'n' Cheese Cups

Katrina Lee

1 box of pasta (I chose Orecchiette but good ol' elbows will do just fine)

1/4 cup of of all purpose flour 

1/4 cup of unsalted butter 

2 tablespoons of minced garlic

3 cups of milk 

4 cups of shredded cheese (like mozzarella, cheddar, gouda or parmesan)

Salt to taste 

Pepper to taste 

Mustard powder to taste (optional)

A small drizzle of truffle oil to taste

Breadcrumbs

Instructions:

1. Preheat the oven to 400ºF.

2. In a large pot, add enough water to cover the top of the pasta and a large dash of salt to season the water. Boil on high heat, and add in the pasta. Cook for about 7 to 8 minutes, until the pasta is al dente. Drain the water in a pasta strainer, making sure to save a small amount of the pasta water to help incorporate the pasta into the cheese sauce. 

3. While the pasta is boiling, add the flour, butter and garlic to a smaller saucepan at medium heat and stir until the butter is melted, the garlic is fragrant and the flour is incorporated. This is a basic roux that you can use in any sauce as a thickener! 

4. Add the milk to the roux slowly, whisking as you go. The mixture will thicken as you stir. 

Cayla Romano

5. Once the mixture slightly thickens (think light gravy, not oatmeal), you can throw in your cheese and whisk until it's incorporated. Add the salt, pepper, garlic powder and mustard powder to your taste. 

Cayla Romano

6. Now, it's time for the piece de resistance; the truffle oil. Drizzle in about 1 teaspoon into your sauce, or just add small drops and keep tasting. Truffle oil is very strong, so you only need a tiny bit. Any more can be overwhelming. 

7. Now that your sauce and your pasta are complete, it's time for your mac 'n' cheese. Pour your sauce over the pasta and mix it all together

Cayla Romano

8. Scoop hefty portions into a muffin tin. Sprinkle each mac 'n' cheese cup with breadcrumbs for some extra crunch and pop it into the oven.

Cayla Romano

9. Bake for 12-15 minutes until the the cups have baked together and solidified for easy pickings. Cool for about 3 minutes to let the cups set, and then, using a knife, carefully carve out each one.

10. Finally, serve your luxurious mac 'n' cheese to a group of friends and party the night away!

Katrina Lee
Katrina Lee