Instead of eating a plate full of fried chips covered in processed melted cheese, refried beans, and greasy ground beef, try these Sweet Potato Nachos. They're baked sweet potato chips topped with low-fat Mexican blend cheese, corn, black beans, kalamata olives, green peppers, cherry heirloom tomatoes, avocado, and low-fat sour cream. 

Something I've been noticing lately in the "food world" is that people really want to eat healthily, yet struggle with this immensely. I think this is due to the fact that society approaches the whole concept of "healthy eating" in a very black or white matter; they automatically go from eating fast food every day, right to a super regimented "clean eating" lifestyle with no wiggle room. Hey everyone, there's a grey area! Continue to eat your favorite foods, but do so in moderation with some small changes, such as this recipe exemplifies. All the goods are still there but in a fresher, lighter, more vibrant way.

The serving size for this recipe is for 3 or 4 people, as it is more of a snacking dish (great for parties and gatherings), but could definitely be dinner for two with the addition of ground lean turkey, or another lean protein. 

Sweet Potato Nachos

• 1 large sweet potato
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
  • 1/4 cup corn Either fresh or canned
  • 1/4 black beans
  • 1/4 cup kalamata olives
  • 1/4 cup green peppers
  • 1/4 cup cherry heirloom tomatoes
  • 1/2 a slightly under-ripe avocado
  • A drizzle sour cream
  • Feel free to include your favorite nacho toppings/change the amount based on your preference!
Rebecca Stillman

Preheat the oven to 425°F. Wash the sweet potato and finely slice into 1/8" thick "chips" (or as thin as you can get them before cutting your fingers!).

Rebecca Stillman

Take awe over your rocking knife cuts and then place into a bowl and toss in just enough olive oil to coat.

Rebecca Stillman

Place the sweet potato slices on to a very lightly oiled sheet tray, and give them some room to breathe (aka no overlapping!). It's okay to break out another sheet tray if there's not enough room for everyone.

Rebecca Stillman

Roast the sweet potatoes for 10 minutes, then flip and repeat. Once cooked through fully, broil in one-minute increments. Super thin slices = super high chance of burning. We are looking for a crisp, chip-like texture here so broil until this is achieved. After they are through roasting, place on a wire cooling rack if available for use.

Rebecca Stillman

While the chips are roasting, gather the olives, green pepper, cherry heirloom tomatoes, and avocado and dice into a uniform "nacho topping" size. After, collect the rest of the topping ingredients.

Set the oven to 350°F. Place the sweet potato chips onto a very lightly oiled sheet tray and arrange into an overlapping structure for the toppings to sit on.

Rebecca Stillman

Topping time! This part is awesome, as you can customize the recipe and truly make it into your own. I decided to put the toppings on in the least to most vibrant order in color: cheese, black beans, kalamata olives, corn, green peppers. Bake for about 3 minutes or until the cheese is melted to your satisfaction.

Rebecca Stillman

Topping time, part two! Add a pop of color to the dish with the diced cherry heirloom tomatoes and avocados. Finally, drizzle the sour cream to make it look and taste impressive af.

Rebecca Stillman

Eat yo' heart out!

Rebecca Stillman