I was craving waffles for dinner earlier this week and still wanted to get my vegetables in and have something on the more savory side, so I decided to try to make some zucchini waffles. I wanted to make it a bit more substantial with a chickpea scramble and added some pesto and other toppings for some extra fancy flavorings. In less than 20 minutes everything came together and can I just say this trial was a SUCCESS !?! Easy, delicious, and completely vegan this recipe is definitely one I’ll be coming back to.

Here’s what you’ll need to do:

Savory Vegan Zucchini Waffles

• 1 grated zucchini
  • 1 flax egg
  • 1/4 cup oats
  • 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • Paprika salt pepper and cumin
  • Optional:
  • 1 cup chickpeas mushrooms and spinach with desired seasonings
  • 1 diced chive
  • Dollop DF sour cream
  • Spoonful vegan pesto
Mackenzie Laverick

Grate zucchini and combine with the flax or chia egg (1 teaspoon of seeds to 1 tablespoon of water is enough for this)

zucchini, cucumber
    Abigail Shipps

Combine zucchini mix with dry ingredients and spices. Mix well and cook in a waffle iron for 5-7 minutes until lightly crispy on the outside. Grease the iron well before this step!

cereal, corn, wheat, oatmeal, porridge, oat
    Gabby Phi

Roast some chickpeas and mushrooms with your desired seasonings. Place ontop of the waffle and add some diced chives, DF sour cream, and a spoonful of vegan pesto to top everything off

vegetable, nut, pasture, cereal, legume, hazelnut, tigernut, chickpeas
    Kristine Mahan

For the chickpea scramble, simply combine 1 cup of chickpeas with mushrooms and spinach. Cook on medium heat for 10 minutes with some olive oil or soy sauce. Add paprika, tumeric, and salt for seasoning. If you want to make your own pesto, try this vegan recipe. Enjoy!