A few weeks ago, I went to one of my favorite barbecue spots - Sauced in Walnut Creek - and decided to try their loaded tots as an appetizer. Let me just tell you, these are not your ordinary tater tots. These lil potato thumbs are dressed to the nines with sharp cheddar cheese, sour cream, sliced jalapeños, and bacon jam. BACON JAM. I love bacon and I love jam so it's a match made in heaven.

I loved those tots so much, that I decided to try and replicate them on my own to have while watching the Super Bowl, with homemade bacon jam. Trust me, these will blow the socks off any other potato product you have put into your mouth. 

Loaded Tots with Bacon Jam

• Cook Time:1 hr
  • Total Time:1 hr 10 mins

• 1 32 oz. bag tater tots
  • 5-7 slices bacon use hickory smoked to add another dimension flavor
  • 1 yellow onion chopped
  • 1/2 tsp minced garlic
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp thick maple syrup
  • 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese or however much you want basically
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • 1 bunch green onions chopped optional
  • Sour cream optional
pork, chicken
Megan Collins

Chop the onion into small enough pieces so you won't get a huge chunk of onion in the bacon jam, and mince the garlic.

dairy product, cereal, vegetable, rice, milk
    Megan Collins

Chop the bacon into one inch slices, but it does not need to be exact. I find using kitchen shears is the easiest method.

chicken, bacon

Heat the bacon in a nonstick skillet on medium-high, stirring occasionally, until it turns a deeper pink and the edges are lightly browned.

bacon
    Megan Collins

Turn the heat to medium low, and add in the onions, garlic, syrup, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Stir to incorporate all of the ingredients. You will occasionally stir from here on out, but you'll want to let it all sit and do it's thang.

rice, bacon
    Megan Collins

Preheat oven to 425º (or whichever the package of tater tots says). Once preheated, pour the tater tots into a casserole dish and bake for about 40 minutes (again, or whatever time the package specifies).

pizza
    Megan Collins

Once there are 15 minutes left on the tater tots, turn the heat down on the bacon jam to low. It should begin to thicken and turn a dark, syrupy color. Then, chop the green onions and set aside.

salad, onion, scallion, spring onion, herb, vegetable
    Megan Collins

With three minutes left on the tater tots, pause the timer and sprinkle the cheese on top. Resume baking.

rice, chicken, cheese
    Megan Collins

Remove the tater tots from the oven, and turn off the heat on the bacon jam. Spoon the jam on top of the tater tots. Sprinkle green onions on top and serve with sour cream.

chicken, sweet
    Megan Collins