Lavender is one of those versatile plants that can be used for just about everything. It is so commonly used in beauty products and aromatherapy… but what about in cookies? I found this out when I went to a local lavender farm in Brooklyn, Pennsylvania and saw all of the different types of lavender being grown.

Humming Hill Lavender Farm is a fairly new farm in northeastern Pennsylvania. The shop there features all things lavender such as soaps, butters, and Herbes de Provence. I left with all things lavender including a jar of culinary lavender. Trying to figure out what to do with it, I started looking and discovered all the ways to use it in your cooking and baking. So, go get some for yourself and try these flavor-packed, lavender-lemon shortbreads and bring them to your next summer picnic.

Lavender Cookies

• Prep Time:20 minutes
  • Cook Time:18-20 minutes
  • Total Time:1 hour & 40 minutes

• 1 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 2/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon dried lavender
  • 1 lemon zested
  • 3 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
Photo by Emily Swingle

Cream the softened butter and sugars in a medium-sized mixing bowl.

Photo by Emily Swingle

Mix in the lavender flowers (picked and dried) and zest from one lemon. Stir until combined.

Photo by Emily Swingle

Add the flour, cornstarch and salt and mix until dough starts to come together.

Photo by Emily Swingle

Lay a strip of plastic wrap on the counter and dump the dough onto the center of the strip.

Photo by Emily Swingle

Press the dough together so it forms a log. Wrap up the dough and shape the four sides by turning the dough on the counter to create a rectangle. Creating a flat surface on all sides of the dough.

Photo by Emily Swingle

Refrigerate the dough for about an hour or until firm.

#SpoonTip: If you want to speed up this process, you can use the freezer.

Photo by Emily Swingle

Once the dough is firm, preheat your oven to 325°F. Unwrap it and cut 1/4 inch slices.

Photo by Emily Swingle

Dip the slices into purple colored sugar so that one side of the cookie is covered.

#SpoonTip: If you don’t have colored sugar, you can make your own like this.

Photo by Emily Swingle

Place the cookies on a parchment paper lined baking sheet sugar side up. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until the sides and bottom are starting to turn golden brown.

Photo by Emily Swingle