Satisfy those late night fry cravings and get in a serving of veggies with kohlrabi fries. I know what you're thinking, WTF is a Kohlrabi? I was also confused on the weird, bulb vegetable. I mean come on, with its Medusa stems sticking out all over the place, It’s wildly intimidating. So I did some digging on the veggie and here's the scoop. Kohlrabi is a cruciferous vegetable with a boatload of health benefits. This veggie also packs more vitamin C than an orange. Kohlrabi can be prepared a variety of ways, but I’ve found that it makes THE perfect healthy alternative to French fries. 

Sara Hulsman

The best part about these kohlrabi fries is that they are everything you love about Mcdonald's fries but, so much better for you. Unlike a small Mcdonald's Fries, which contains 230 calories, 11 grams of fat and 29 carbs, these kohlrabi fries only have 20 calories, 0 grams of fat and 5 grams of carbs. Oh and did I mention taste just as good?

Like Hannah Montana engraved in our nine-year-old brains, it really is the best of both worlds.

Kohlrabi Fries

• Kohlrabi Bulb
  • Vegetable Peeler
  • Knife
  • Cooking Spray
  • Salt
  • Black Pepper
  • Air Fryer
Sara Hulsman

First, Gather all the ingredients for your tummy party. I have already removed the Medusa looking stems from the Kohlrabi pictured here.

Sara Hulsman

Then, cut off the top and bottom of the kohlrabi. After you've done that slice it into fourths. Doing this makes the next step SO much easier.

Sara Hulsman

Next, peel the Kohlrabi. A potato peeler works perfect for this and also gives you an excuse to use it for something other than Thanksgiving. You could use a knife to peel the Kohlrabi but, PLEASE be careful, a trip to urgent care will only delay you from eating these delicious fries.

Sara Hulsman

After you’ve basically shaved and slaughtered Medusa, chop the Kohlrabi into fry like shapes. This is where you can be creative with varying thickness of the fries. Personally, I like mine thin but, if you’re a potato wedge junkie… You get the idea.

Sara Hulsman

At this step, you are probably frantically searching this recipe to see if you missed the pre-heat step. Don’t panic, you didn’t miss it. See, I love these fries because you can literally just throw them in the air fryer. Set your air fryer to 370 and the timer to 15 minutes. Depending on your fry thickness the cook time will be 15-20 minutes. Spray your air fryer with your favorite cooking spray, throw in the Kohlrabi slices, spray over the slices and then season with whatever spices you desire. I stick to salt and pepper but then again, I’m more vanilla then Breyers ice cream. Halfway through the cook time shake the fries around to get them evenly cooked.

Sara Hulsman

Once the cook time is up and the fries are golden brown, it’s time to feast.

Sara Hulsman

Enjoy them plain, with ketchup, or whatever condiment you like.

Sara Hulsman