You know those little white pieces of heaven you see next to the crushed Oreo at every froyo chain?! Mochi balls…aka chewy, closest-thing-to-marshmallow, adorable balls of love.  Essentially five ingredients, one being water, and once they are made can be transformed into anything your heart desires. Green tea mochi mmmm.

Have a mochi makin’ party and make some pillowy mochi delights. Mochi mondays? And then you can use emojis while eating your mochi. Too far..

DIY Mochi Balls

• Prep Time:10 minutes
  • Cook Time:60 minutes
  • Total Time:70 minutes
  • Servings:5-6

• 1 cup mochiko flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 can of coconut milk
  • Potato starch
Photo by Maddie Cole

Preheat oven to 275°F. Grease a 9×13 glass baking dish or line it with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, whisk together the mochiko, sugar, and baking powder. In a separate bowl, whisk together the water and coconut milk.

GIF by Maddie Cole

Add the wet ingredients to the dry and whisk until the mixture is smooth and no lumps remain.

GIF by Maddie Cole

Unlike most baking, you don’t need to worry about overmixing the ingredients, since mochi is dense and chewy to begin with.

Pour the mixture into your lined baking dish. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 60 minutes.

GIF by Maddie Cole

The mochi is done when it’s soft and gelatinous but holds its shape when touched.

Let cool completely. Dust a surface with your starch and turn the mochi onto the surface. Sprinkle starch over the mochi.

GIF by Maddie Cole

Dust knife in starch flour then cut the mochi into small pieces, dust again with starch or flour, and serve!

GIF by Maddie Cole