I love surprises, whether it's a special birthday present or a mini treat inside my desserts. So why not put surprises in your cupcakes? In this quick recipe, grab a box of yellow cake mix, cookie dough ingredients, frosting supplies, a ton of blue food coloring, and boom! Inspired by Cookie Monster Cupcake and chocolate chip cookie cupcake recipes, these Cookie Monster Cupcakes come with a chocolate chip cookie treat hiding in the middle.

Cookie Monster Cupcakes

• 1 ½ cups flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 ½ cups softened butter
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 box yellow cake mix
  • 1 1/3 cups water
  • 1/3 cup canola oil
  • 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
  • 1 7 ounce jar marshmallow fluff
  • blue food coloring
Lindsey Jay

First, let’s make the cookie dough. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. In a separate bowl, beat ½ cup butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until smooth.

Lindsey Jay

Add in 1 egg and 2 tsp. vanilla extract; beat until smooth. Mix in the flour mixture, then add in the chocolate chips until just combined. Using either your hands or two spoons, form tablespoon-sized balls of dough. Place them on aluminum foil and freeze for 1.5-2 hours.

Lindsey Jay

While the cookie dough freezes, start making the cupcake batter. Beat 3 eggs in a bowl. Once mixed, add in the cake mix, water, and oil until fully combined. Pour the batter into the cupcake tins until about half to 2/3 full. Place a frozen cookie dough ball in the center of each cupcake tin.

Lindsey Jay

Bake for 15-18 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

Lindsey Jay

Finally, it’s time to make the frosting. Place 1 cup of softened butter in a large bowl and mix until fluffy. Add 3-5 drops of food coloring (don’t worry, you can add more later if it’s not blue enough).

Lindsey Jay

Add the powdered sugar ½ cup at a time. Add ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract and the marshmallow fluff. If you would like it to be bluer, add more food coloring now.

Lindsey Jay

Place the frosting in a frosting bag with the star tip or just use a sandwich bag with the tip cut off. Pipe the frosting in a swirl (enough for candy eyes to rest on top of) and place the candy eyes on top (pro tip: have the eyes point in slightly different directions to look more like Cookie Monster!). Place a Chips Ahoy cookie where the mouth should be to complete the effect.

Lindsey Jay

And just like that, you have your very own army of Cookie Monster cupcakes! Keep these in mind next time you want to impress your friends with a cute dessert.