Molasses is definitely a distinct flavor that you can smell a mile away. Not only is molasses a great sugar substitute, but it also has many uses in baking, particularly baking gingerbread.

Taste and smell are powerful senses that can send you back in time. The taste and smell of molasses bring many people, including me, back to thoughts of long winter nights, building gingerbread houses, and opening presents on Christmas. I had some molasses left over in my pantry from who knows when, and I started thinking about what other recipes used molasses. It turns out not that many, but these chewy, gingersnap cookies still bring back that nostalgic taste of Christmas without having the same old gingerbread taste.

Chewy Gingersnap Cookies

• Prep Time:2 hours and 15 minutes
  • Cook Time:10 minutes
  • Total Time:2 hours and 25 minutes

• 3/4 cup vegetable shortening
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup molasses
  • 2 cup flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 tablespoon ginger
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
Photo by Maya Giaquinta

Beat the shortening, white sugar, and brown sugar in a bowl until fluffy.

Photo by Maya Giaquinta

Beat the egg and molasses into the sugar and shortening mixture.

Photo by Maya Giaquinta

Combine all of the dry ingredients in a separate bowl, and then stir the dry mixture into the wet mixture until just combined. Cover and chill the dough for 2 hours.

Photo by Maya Giaquinta

Preheat the oven to 375°F. Roll the dough into small balls and then roll them in white sugar. Place them 2 inches apart on a lined baking sheet, and bake for about 10 minutes.

Photo by Maya Giaquinta

Cool cookies for 5 minutes on the sheet and then transfer to a plate. Enjoy!

Photo by Maya Giaquinta