Coffee is the perfect canvas for flavor. Served black, good coffee can have many flavor notes, but once you add the sweetness of milk and sugar it becomes a delicious harmony of richness and sweetness. The beauty of coffee is that it pairs well with so many different flavors and spices. An easy way to introduce more flavor to your homemade coffee is by changing up the form of sweetener you use. Instead of white sugar or honey, try using simple syrup.

A sweetener often forgotten in the home kitchen, simple syrup is what gives most Starbucks or coffee shop beverages their flavor. No one tends to think, “I could make this at home,” when sipping on their fancy flavored latte. Well, the real question should be why can’t you? Not to mention most Starbucks drinks are even more unhealthy than you might think.

Simple syrups are a perfect solution to keeping it, ahem, simple. These syrups taste best when mixed with milk or creamer to help blend the flavors, but also taste great with straight black coffee. Here are 3 recipes to get you started on your syrup adventures!

Vanilla Bean

• 1 cup water
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 vanilla bean
Catherine Cline

Bring the water to a low boil and add the sugar, stirring occasionally until the sugar dissolves. Meanwhile, use a small knife to slice the vanilla bean down the middle, lengthwise. Stop before slicing it completely in half. This will help make it easier to remove the pasty insides.

Catherine Cline

Reduce the heat to low and add the vanilla extract. Run the edge of a small knife down the inside of the vanilla bean, scraping out the contents into the pan. Add the shell as well. Stir and let stand for 5 minutes.

Catherine Cline

Remove from the heat and let it cool before storing in a mason jar or other container. Keep the bean shell in the jar to ensure a strong vanilla taste.

Catherine Cline

Orange Spice

• 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1 /2 cup light brown sugar
  • 1 orange
  • 1 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1 cinnamon stick
Catherine Cline

Heat the water in a small pot over medium heat. Add the brown sugar and honey and stir until dissolved. Meanwhile, cut one slice off of the orange. Then, use a small paring knife to cut off the peel of about half the orange.

Catherine Cline

Reduce the heat to low and add the orange slice, orange peel, cinnamon stick and cloves. Let stand for 10 minutes or until desired strength is achieved. You may need to adjust the heat to keep the water from bubbling above a very low simmer.

Catherine Cline

Remove from the heat, remove the orange pieces and cinnamon stick, and let it cool before storing in a mason jar or other container. Store it in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 weeks. Top your milk with cinnamon for a great cafe au lait or latte!

Catherine Cline

Honey Nutmeg

• Prep Time:1 min

• 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/2 light brown sugar
  • 1 Tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Catherine Cline

Add all of the ingredients into a saucepan and heat over medium heat until the honey dissolves.

Catherine Cline

Remove from the heat and let it cool before adding to a jar. Keep it in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 weeks.

Catherine Cline

#spoontip: If you want a thicker consistency, simmer the water for an extra few minutes until the syrup thickens.

Now you're just a few steps away from crafting a delicious homemade beverage. Don't be afraid to use these recipes as guidelines to your own flavor ideas. Simple syrups start with equal parts water and sugar. From there, you can add your spices and other flavors- get creative! Letting the mixture simmer brings a thicker texture and beautifully infuses those flavors into the syrup. Use your syrups in warmed or iced milk with coffee.

If you're feeling fancy, blend up ice, coffee and cream or milk with your syrup for a makeshift frappuccino. Once you've mastered favorite syrups for coffee, there are so many ways to use syrup. Try using it in tea, overnight oats or cookies... the options are deliciously endless.