Candied yams are the ultimate holiday side dish. They are a staple on almost every family's holiday table. I love this dish because it combines my three favorite things: yams, sugar, and butter. The most traditional way to prepare this dish is a little butter and brown sugar, all topped with gooey marshmallows. While I do enjoy the classic, I want to share two creative new topping ideas to put a spin on this holiday classic.

I have included a basic recipe for the yams, as well as the recipes for the toppings. If you really want to go crazy, make a pan with all three of the toppings to really wow your guests. Since I didn't want to make a huge batch, I divided one can of yams into three mini tins. Whatever way you make this dish, don't forget to share. After all, it is the season of giving. 

Candied Yams

• 1 29 oz. can yams
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp. white sugar
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • Topping choice
Samantha Yoshino

Preheat oven to 400° F.

Samantha Yoshino

Combine in a mixing bowl the brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Then, cut butter into small cubes. Set both aside.

Samantha Yoshino

Drain the yams and fold them into the sugar mixture. Transfer the yams to a baking dish or mini tins and top with butter pieces.

Samantha Yoshino

Cover yams with your desired topping and bake for 15-20 minutes.

Samantha Yoshino

Plain yams are great on their own, but what makes them truly over the top is the toppings. I love the traditional marshmallow but I thought it would be fun to try out more sophisticated flavors for the holiday season.

The maple pretzel pecan recipe would go amazing with a beautiful maple glazed spiral cut ham. And the brown butter crumbles version would be a great accompaniment to a roast turkey. The beauty of this dish is in its versatility. Find the recipes below: 

Brown Butter Oatmeal Crumble

• 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 tbsp. brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 cup butter
Samantha Yoshino

Combine flour, oats, granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl.

Samantha Yoshino

Melt butter over medium heat until golden brown (2-3 minutes).

Samantha Yoshino

Mix butter with the oat mixture until the dry ingredients are all coated.

Samantha Yoshino

Maple Pecan Pretzel Crunch

• Cook Time:0

• 1/2 cup pecans
  • 1/2 cup pretzels
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
Samantha Yoshino

Crush pecans and pretzels in a small bowl. Pour in maple syrup and combine.

Samantha Yoshino

For the marshmallow version, simply top the original yam recipe with regular or mini-marshmallows and bake as usual. Make sure to keep checking on the yams if you decide to pursue this topping as the marshmallows tend to burn fairly easily. If you want, you can always add the marshmallows during the last 5 minutes of cooking for a soft-golden brown look.

I hope you enjoy these recipes and put them to the test this season. Happy Holidays to all, and to all a good night.

Still in the holiday spirit? Check out these great holiday-themed articles:

What Christmas Dinner Looks Like Around the World

Holiday Survival Guide: 7 Low Stress Tips to Survive the Holidays

The Unofficial Ranking of Traditional Hanukkah Foods