Poutine is a traditional Canadian dish featuring a layer of hot french fries, cheese curds, and a smothering of gravy. Poutine emerged in rural Canada in the 1950s and was commonplace by 1990 in the country. Since then, it's expanded to the United States and can commonly be found in my home state: Vermont! 

There are many variations on poutine. I've seen veggie or mushroom gravy instead of the traditional beef gravy; people even go as far as to add vegan cheese to make this dish 100% vegan! I've also seen variations on poutine that include buffalo chicken and ranch dip, spicy Thai veggies, and scrambled eggs and bacon (for a breakfast poutine). The possibilities are endless! 

Now, not everyone has access to a deep fryer to make super high-end poutine, so this is the budgeted version. You'll need access to a baking sheet and a microwave to make this recipe, but I'm sure it will be worth the investment.

Dorm Room Poutine

• 32 oz frozen french fries prepared according to package directions
  • 10 oz. canned beef gravy
  • 2 cups cheese curds
  • Optional scallions and/or cracked pepper for serving
poutine, gravy, sauce, waffle
Adeena Zeldin

Prepare french fries according to package directions. I recommend using garlic fries or the ones with a batter-like coating on the outside; they crisp up much better than the traditional frozen french fries. Transfer gravy to a microwave safe bowl and heat for two minutes, stirring halfway. After fries are prepared, cover in cheese curds and layer gravy on top. Finish with scallions or cracked pepper. 

If you want to truly make this a microwave-only meal, you can steal some fries from the dining hall and make the gravy on your own. Want to overcomplicate things? Try making your own fries using this recipe