Want to cook a nice steak but don't want to break the bank?

We've got the recipe that satisfies both requirements. Get ready to cook a restaurant worthy steak at a fraction of the cost.

For this recipe, you will be using one of the round roast, which happens to be one of the least expensive cuts of beef. This type of cut comes from the rear of the cow, the cut is lean and low in fat. Therefore it is often used for stewing or braising.

Image from WikiCommons

Image from WikiCommons

There are various techniques and methods that can be used to cook a steak. In this recipe, we will be using the sous vide method, which requires a sous vide machine. Say good-bye to stringy, dry meat!

Sous Vide Beef

• Cook Time:4 hrs
  • Total Time:4 hrs 10 mins

• One 5lb round roast
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter sliced
  • 1 tablespoon sea salt
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon black pepper
Angel Ting

Fill a tub or pot with water. Your container should be able to hold enough water to submerge your beef. Set the sous vide machine to 133°F to prepare a water bath. While the water comes to temperature, head on to the next step.

Angel Ting

Pat the round roast try with a paper towel to remove any excess moisture

Angel Ting

Season the round roast with sea salt and black pepper. The amount of seasoning you use will depend on how flavorful you want your meat to be. Remember that this is a thick cut of meat therefore, you will need to season it generously in order to fully encompass the flavor thoroughly throughout the meat. Here I used 1 tablespoon of sea salt and 1 1/2 tablespoon of black pepper.

Angel Ting

Place the seasoned meat into a Ziplock bag. Distribute the pieces of butter evenly into the bag. Leave the bag opened (you'll find out why in the next step!).

Angel Ting

Once the water is brought to temperature, submerge the bag of meat into the water bath. Make sure you leave the opening of the bag above water. Wait until the heat from the water has sucked all the air out of the bag. This step is very important to ensure that your meat is evenly cooked! Once all the air is gone you may close the bag.

Angel Ting

Allow the meat to cook in the water bath for 4 hours. This may look a bit strange but rest assured that the meat is really cooking.

Angel Ting

After the 4 hours are up, remove the bag of meat from the water bath. Take the meat out of the bag and allow it to rest for 10 minutes. Warning: If you cut the meat the second it comes out, all the juices will run out. You don't want that!

Angel Ting

Note: If you're still not sure how to carry out step 5, watch this video.

Click here to see the tub that I used for this recipe.

Finishing touches...

At this point, you can slice the beef and eat it as is. If you want to get creative, try incorporating the meat into this Hawaiian sandwich or this pesto sandwich

The seasonings used for this recipe are very simple, so feel free to add any additional flavors in order to satisfy your taste buds!