Most loaves of bread require a good 24 hours for the yeast to ferment before they can be baked, and in a bustling, ever busy household that can be a problem. Hail the saviour; the eggless banana bread

This a type of quick bread, that can be made with no rest time required. They tend to be sweeter, and they are perfect for brunch and can be ice-creamed up for a decadent dessert for a great post-dinner finish. Banana bread is a classic quick bread, that you can master in a jiffy. It comes together in one bowl, bakes without any supervision required, and once out of the oven, disappears almost magically.

My favourite thing about this eggless banana bread is that the ripe bananas add so much natural sweetness, that the amount of added sugar is cut down dramatically. You can also swap the processed white flour with whole wheat flour for a more fibrous version. And since this recipe has no eggs, it is suitable for people with egg allergies (I'm looking at you mom, you kitchen wrecker), and vegetarians or vegans. 

There are several variations for this. You can customize it according to your preference. I usually go with walnuts and chocolate chips. You can also add the toppings of your choice and adjust the sweetness level to your preference.

Eggless Banana Bread

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 50 minutes 

Total Time: 1 hour 

Servings: 10 thick slices 

1.  3-4 medium sized bananas 

2.  1/2 cup vegetable oil

3.  1/2 cup buttermilk 

4.  3/4 cup brown sugar

5.  1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour 

6.  1 tsp vanilla 

7.  1 tsp baking powder

8.  3/4 tsp baking soda 

9.  1/4 tsp salt

10. 1/2 total of chocolate chips and/or walnuts (optional)

11.  1/4 tsp cinnamon 

Step 1 :

Simran Kohli

In a bowl, mash your bananas with a potato masher or a fork. You can mash them to a fine paste, or keep them chunky. 

Step 2 :

Simran Kohli

To that, add oil, vanilla extract and buttermilk. You can skip the buttermilk for a vegan version of this dish, or use vegan buttermilk.

Step 3 :

Add the sugar, and use a whisk to combine.

Step 4 :

Sieve in your baking powder, baking soda and flour. At this stage, you will have to switch from a whisk to a spatula or a wooden spoon, as the batter will get thick.

Step 5 :

Simran Kohli

Add in the chocolate chips, nuts and cinnamon, and stir them into the mixture. Be careful to mix just enough to incorporate everything, but do not overmix. Overmixing your batter will result in a tough bread. 

Step 6 :
Simran Kohli

Grease a loaf pan with a non-stick spray. Alternately you can use a brush to coat the inside with butter or vegetable oil. Pour the batter into the loaf pan and put it in a preheated oven at 180 Celsius (350 Fahrenheit) for 45-50 minutes. As always, check for doneness by inserting a toothpick in the centre and ensuring that there is no uncooked batter on it when it is taken out. There might be some melted chocolate on it; that is to be expected. 

Step 7 :

Transfer the eggless banana bread onto a rack once it is cool enough to handle, and then let it cool completely before slicing it. 

Enjoy!

Simran Kohli

Looking for a variation? Try this one by our team, but I promise the recipe above is foolproof and a guaranteed hit at the table!