This recipe is my aunt’s secret bread pudding recipe, which I am now making not-so-secret. Oops. She used to bake it for our families every Sunday, and it never failed to be anything less than a crowd-pleaser. In fact, to quote my friend, this bread pudding the “reason for her existence.”

It’s ooey, gooey, chocolate-filled, and extremely rich and filling. The bread pudding admittedly takes a little long to bake, but it’s definitely worth every second.

Vanilla Sauce

• Prep Time:5 minutes
  • Cook Time:10 minutes
  • Total Time:15 minutes

• 2 cup whipping cream
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 teaspoon cornstarch
  • 2 teaspoon water

Bring the whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla to a boil in a saucepan over a medium-high heat. Stir frequently.

Photo by Danielle Limcaoco

Mix the cornstarch and water in a small bowl to blend, and then whisk into the cream mixture.

Photo by Danielle Limcaoco

Boil until the sauce thickens, stirring constantly, for about 3 minutes. Cool the sauce, then cover and refrigerate the sauce until cold, for around 1-2 hours.

Photo by Danielle Limcaoco

Chocolate Bread Pudding

• Prep Time:1 hour and 20 minutes
  • Cook Time:1 hour
  • Total Time:2 hours 20 minutes

• 12 croissants
  • 6 oz semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
  • 6 oz white chocolate, chopped
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup and 4 tablespoons of brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cup whipping cream
  • 1/2 cup whole milk

Cut croissants into pieces around 1 inch in length.

Photo by Danielle Limcaoco

Combine the croissants, semi sweet chocolate, and white chocolate in a large bowl. Toss to blend, ensuring to be careful not to crush the mixture. The fluffier, the better.

Photo by Danielle Limcaoco

Using an electric mixer, beat eggs, 1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, and vanilla in another large bowl to blend. Gradually beat in 1 and 1/2 cups of whipping cream, and all the milk.

Photo by Danielle Limcaoco

Add cream mixture into the bread mixture, and toss gently to combine. Let it stand in your refrigerator for an hour.

Photo by Danielle Limcaoco

Preheat the oven to 350°F once the mixture has been in the refrigerator for 45 minutes. Spray a 13x9x2 inch glass baking dish with nonstick spray.

Transfer the bread mixture to the prepared dish, spreading evenly. Drizzle the mixture with the remaining 1/2 cup of cream. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of brown sugar.

Bake the pudding until the edges are golden and the custard has set in the center, for around 1 hour. Cool pudding slightly.

Photo by Danielle Limcaoco

Drizzle with the vanilla sauce then serve warm.

Photo by Danielle Limcaoco