When you walk through the aisles of the supermarket and see the button mushrooms, what is the first thing that comes to your mind? Well, most people see them as a time-consuming and flavourless source of energy. However, the lucky few quickly add them to their carts, as they know the secret of the button mushrooms.

These little guys are not only unbelievably flavourful, but also contain high amounts of copper and additional nutrients such as vitamins C, D and B, and the minerals selenium, iron, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium and zinc. Researchers have concluded that button mushrooms can prevent heart diseases, increase immunity and protect the body from various cancer cell lines.

vegetable, mushroom

If you are unsure about what to make with the button mushrooms, then try a delicious Eastern European Button Mushrooms Salad. This flavourful vegan salad will not leave you indifferent and will make you a big fan of Eastern European cuisine.

My grandmother only made this salad on very special occasions, like Christmas. Luckily, one day I lost my patience and decided that I didn't want to wait for my birthday or Christmas to make my belly happy. I took matters into my own hands and learned to make it myself. It turned out to be pretty easy to make. In addition, it stayed super fresh in the refrigerator for multiple days. 

Unbutton the Mushroom Delight

• Cook Time:8 hrs
  • Total Time:8 hrs 30 mins

• 1 kg button mushrooms
  • 1 bunch cilantro
  • 1 bunch dill
  • 1 bunch green onions
  • 1 onion
  • 50 mL vegetable oil
  • 1 bulb garlic
  • 3 L boiling water
  • 100 mL vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 tablespoon salt
vegetable, mushroom
Kamila Gabitova

Wash the mushrooms and cut each mushroom into 4 pieces.

mushroom
    Kamila Gabitova

Place the cut mushrooms into the pot along with 3 L of boiling water.

Kamila Gabitova

Add 25 mL of vinegar into the pot and cover it with a lid for 20 minutes.

pasture, vegetable, mushroom
    Kamila Gabitova

Cut the cilantro, dill, and green onion into small pieces.

relish, dill, parsley, herb, vegetable
    Kamila Gabitova

Cut the onion into thin slices.

onion, garlic
    Kamila Gabitova

Peel the garlic and cut it into small pieces.

tortellini, vegetable, pasta
    Kamila Gabitova

When the mushrooms have finished soaking in the pot with water and vinegar for 20 minutes, open the lid and add in the cut herbs, onion, garlic, sugar, salt, oil, and another 75 mL of vinegar.

kale
    Kamila Gabitova

Mix everything together well and cover the pot with the lid.

vegetable, mushroom
    Kamila Gabitova

Once the liquid in the pot has cooled down, put the pot in the refrigerator.

snack, storage, store, Hungry, hoard, orange juice, juice, refrigerator, mini fridge, fridge, midnight snack, sweets, strawberries, milk, chocolate, water, green tea, yogurt, coffee, tea
    Denise Uy

Your mushroom salad will be ready to serve in 8 hours.

vegetable, mushroom
    Kamila Gabitova

This mushroom salad will stay fresh in the refrigerator for 4 days. A small warning: you will be surprised by how quickly your new creation will disappear from your house, so hide it well to avoid the fight with your roommate.