The next best thing to a professionally made + frothed matcha latte is the matcha latte that you can make in your dorm room. It’s fast, it’s cheaper, and plus, you feel like you’re a true adult. I have tried numerous matcha latte recipes, but I think I finally nailed it. 

And yes, I'm talking about matcha. That absurd, overpriced green concoction that all the LA influencers seem to be drinking. Well, they actually may be onto something. Matcha is rich in antioxidants and naturally detoxifies the body. It contains fiber, chlorophyll, and vitamins. And, it gives you that caffeine boost we all crave, but without the crash. It is the perfect drink to accompany you to your 8 am class or mid-afternoon library session. To all the coffee fanatics - don’t shame matcha until you try it. Trust me on this one. Here is a matcha latte recipe that you can make in your dorm room!

P.S. This recipe is for a hot matcha latte (because it’s fall!), but they are amazing cold, too.

What you need -

1. Matcha Powder (Make sure it is ceremonial grade - this ensures that the powder has higher amounts of chlorophyll. Plus, it tastes better!)

2. Matcha Whisk

3. Maple syrup (or any other sweetener of your choice. Honey and agave syrup are great, too)

4. Microwave

5. Milk frother

6. Unsweetened coconut milk (great flavor!)

7. Oat milk (the best milk for frothing. I have tried them all)

8. Cinnamon

What to do -

1. Take a spoonful (about a tablespoon) of matcha powder and place it in your mug.

Blakely Spoor

2. Heat water in the microwave (until it is hot enough to dissolve the powder)

3. Pour water into the mug until it is ⅓ of the way full

4. Take your matcha whisk and gently stir the matcha powder until dissolved

Blakely Spoor

5. Add a drop of maple syrup, and continue to whisk

Blakely Spoor

6. Pour coconut milk into the mug, until it is ¾ of the way full

Blakely Spoor

7. Microwave the mug so that it is perfect drinking temperature

8. Pour your oat milk in a frother and select the hot setting

9. Pour your frothed oat milk until the mug is full

Blakely Spoor

10. Add a dash of cinnamon on top

Blakely Spoor

This recipe calls for coconut and oat milk, which is the best milk combination in my opinion! The coconut milk tastes amazing with matcha, and the oat milk froths like no other. But, you could use any number of non-dairy milk - almond, flax, rice, macadamia, you name it! Or you could use regular old whole milk, but that would not be very LA-influencer of you. If you don’t have a matcha whisk, use a fork! And, if you don’t have a milk frother, then just pour coconut milk and oat milk until the mug is full and microwave that (it will still taste just as good, don’t worry). All it takes is a bit of creativity and ingenuity, and you can easily make this matcha latte in your dorm room. But if matcha isn't your thing, check out this article for some other caffeine fixes that are not coffee! 

Enjoy!