Once upon a time, I lived in a hellish salad limbo. I was stuck in a vicious cycle that only consisted of the same three boring salads- I'm looking at you, Coleslaw, Garden, and Caesar. In this dark time of vegetable monotony, I decided to take charge of my own destiny. I set out to create a salad that was eclectic yet nutritious, and wouldn't leave me hungry an hour after consumption. I have accordingly dubbed it as the "cycle-breaking salad" (try saying that three times).

What makes this salad so special is that it contains all three primary macronutrients as well as some extra pizazz:

-The turkey bacon and manchego cheese provide protein.

-The avocado, olive oil, and almonds are perfect sources of healthy fats. 

-The sweet potatoes give us lil' somethings we all know and love called carbs (with a remarkable boost of fiber!)

-And if that wasn't enough, flax seeds, apple cider vinegar, kale, and sprouts are basically the Avengers of the food world, possessing a unique array of superpowers that combat any evil trying to harm your body (aka, a cold).

"Cycle-Breaking Salad" Recipe

• Prep Time:25 secs
  • Cook Time:45 secs
  • Total Time:1 min 10 secs

• 2 to 3 sweet potatoes
  • 1 avocado
  • 2 strips turkey bacon
  • 14 oz baby kale
  • 2 oz sprouts
  • 1/2 cup mixed nuts
  • 1 tbsp flax seeds
  • Copious amounts manchego cheese
  • any other add-ins you would like ie: cherry tomatoes
  • For the dressing:
  • 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 apple cider vinegar
  • 2 tbsp dijon mustard
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • 1 avocado
  • For the sweet potato spice blend:
  • 1/4 tsp cumin
  • 1/4 tsp oregano
  • 1/8 tsp onion powder
  • 1/8 pepper
  • salt to taste
Tara Ghandour

Preheat the oven to 450 F. Peel and chop sweet potatoes into wedges (the yellow color is because they are Japanese sweet potatoes!). Place in a pan and drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil.

Tara Ghandour

Combine all the ingredients for the spice blend in a bowl. Sprinkle contents of bowl on the sweet potatoes.

Tara Ghandour

With gloves on, massage the sweet potatoes to ensure each wedge is evenly coated with the oil and the spices- this is the trick to extra flavor fries!
    Pop the tray in the oven for 40 mins or until golden-brown.

Tara Ghandour

Gather your ingredients for the salad dressing.

Tara Ghandour

Start by smashing the avocado in a bowl using a fork, then add all the other ingredients of the dressing. Keep stirring until combined.

Tara Ghandour

Cook the two strips of turkey bacon until nice and crispy.

Tara Ghandour

Dice the avocado that garnishes the salad.
    #spoontip : the easiest way to get even cubes is to run the knife along the avocado while keeping the skin intact. Then just scoop the cubes with a spoon.

Tara Ghandour

Gather all the add-ins that will garnish the salad (nuts, bacon, avocado, manchego, flax seeds, etc...). Add any other toppings that you want! Be spontaneous! I added cherry tomatoes because I'm WILD. Just remember to chop everything into bite-size pieces, you crazy child.

Tara Ghandour

This is where it gets fun. Get creative!! Build your salad however you want. Channel your inner salt bae and sprinkle your garnishes in an insta worthy manner. I believe in you, young grasshopper.

Tara Ghandour
Tara Ghandour
Tara Ghandour

Finally, enjoy the beautiful mess that you have created. Happy eating!!