Sure, any season can be dinner party season, but fall is the best when it comes to cozying around a dinner table and sharing food that warms your belly and your soul. If you are attending a dinner party or hosting one of your own, a fall soup with autumnal vegetables is one of the best dishes to make. It's hot, nutritious, and nostalgic. I mean, how many days in a year do you get to dress up in your best flannel and boots and warm yourself to a bowl of soup? This recipe allows you to do this and get kudos from even your pickiest friends. It easily complements any other dish and sits separate from the rest of the entrées that crowd a plate.

This fall soup recipe is simple, versatile and low-hassle, just as things should be in the fall. Any squash can be used, the recipe can be made vegetarian/vegan depending on the type of broth, and you can change the consistency with the amount of liquid you add! Whatever it takes to make your next dinner party joyous and delicious, this soup is here for you.

herb, garlic, broth, bread, vegetable, parsley, cream, soup, spoonful of soup, butternut squash, butternut squash soup
Julia Gilman

Fall Squash Soup

• Total Time:1 hr

• oil
  • 1 head garlic
  • 1 onion - chopped
  • 1 butternut squash - peeled deseeded chopped in 1" pieces
  • 2 sweet potatoes - peeled chopped in 1" pieces
  • 4 cups broth
  • 1 apple - peeled chopped in quarters
  • salt and pepper
soup, corn, chowder, Lunch, cafe, Restaurant, Kitchen
Alex Frank

Preheat oven to 400°F.

muffin, barbecue, cupcake, cake, broil
    Katie Cooper

Cut off the tip of the garlic head, drizzle with oil, and wrap in aluminum foil. Place wrapped garlic in oven for 40 minutes. For more guidance on how to roast garlic: https://spoonuniversity.com/how-to/roasted-garlic

Stephanie Nguyen

Heat oil and onion in a deep pot on medium heat until translucent, about 7-10 minutes.

vegetable, cereal, oil
    Alex Frank

Add butternut squash, sweet potatoes, and broth to the pot and bring to a boil.

pepper, vegetable, onion, meat
    Peaches Memishian

Reduce heat to a simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.

pot, Camping, stove, gas lit stove, Fire, camp cooking
    Shelby Cohron

Turn off heat.

soup
    Callie Carlson

Squeeze garlic cloves from the roasted head and add apples to the pot.

apple, apple slice, red apple, Fruit

Blend the contents of the pot. Easiest is using a hand-held immersion blender, but any other blender works just as well.

Stephanie Nguyen

Blend in more broth or water for a thinner consistency, as desired.

honey, sauce, tea
    Meghan Flynn

Add salt and pepper to taste.

soup
    Ethan Cappello

Garnish with roasted butternut squash seeds. Check out this guide to roasting pumpkin seeds that can be adapted to any other squash seeds! https://spoonuniversity.com/recipe/3-step-roasted-pumpkin-seeds

Stephanie Nguyen

Pro tip: Replace butternut squash with another squash in the same amount. A large butternut squash is about 6 cups of raw flesh, so replace with 6 cups of raw flesh from another squash. Puréed squash can also be used to replace raw flesh, around 3 cups. Just be aware that changing the ingredients may change the cook time, so occasionally check the vegetables for when they are soft enough to be pierced by a fork.

Stephanie Nguyen

Now that you're ready to be the life of the party, share this recipe with your friends! Soup makes everyone happy during the fall, so it's only right that you share this simple, versatile and low-hassle dish. Happy dinner partying!