Are you looking for a vegan alternative to pulled pork? This recipe uses jackfruit: a large, spiky, fruit native to Asia. Jackfruit is popular in many vegan recipes because it resembles the consistency of pulled pork. You can purchase jackfruit at a local Asian grocery store or at Trader Joe's ($1.99 a can). Pulled jackfruit can also be a healthier alternative for people who are looking for a lower calorie option. 

I recommend serving this recipe either as a taco filling or on a sandwich. You can add vegan coleslaw, kimchi, or hot sauce to add new textures and flavors to the dish. I used Trader Joe's Organic Sriracha and Roasted Garlic BBQ Sauce; it's 100% vegan and adds a spicy kick to the jackfruit. Although the recipe only requires 1/4 cup of BBQ sauce, feel free to add more! 

Vegan Pulled BBQ Jackfruit

• Cook Time:1 hr
  • Total Time:1 hr 20 mins

• 2 cans jackfruit drained and rinsed
  • 1 sm. yellow onion chopped
  • 1 tsp. paprika
  • 1 tsp. chili powder
  • 1 tsp. cumin
  • 1 tsp. coriander
  • 1 cup veggie stock
  • 2 tsp. olive oil for sautéing
  • 3 cloves garlic chopped
  • 1/4 cup vegan BBQ sauce
  • Salt/pepper to taste
Sara Klimek

Preheat oven to 400° F. After rinsing the jackfruit, remove the inner core. The chunks should just have the fibrous exterior without the hard pith.

Sara Klimek

In a skillet over medium heat, add olive oil, onion, and garlic. Cook until onions are translucent.

Sara Klimek

Add spices, salt/pepper, and jackfruit to skillet. Stir until combined.

Sara Klimek

Pour in veggie stock. Cover & simmer on low heat for 15-20 mins, or until stock is absorbed.

Sara Klimek

Scoop jackfruit mixture on to a parchment-paper lined baking sheet. Using a fork, shred the jackfruit so it resembles the consistency of pulled pork.

Sara Klimek

Bake in oven for 25-30 mins or until dry.

Sara Klimek

Remove from oven, mix in sauce, and bake again for 10 minutes.

Sara Klimek

Serve on sandwiches, over rice, or whatever way you'd enjoy pulled pork!

Sara Klimek