This recipe makes the best chocolate chip cookies. Fluffy, soft, and not-too-thin, these are the perfect cookies to bring to a party where there will be vegans, gluten-freers, and those annoying people with no dietary restrictions. Tried and true, this recipe was a success.  When I got home for winter break, we had 6 bags of flour in the pantry.  I leave tomorrow with just 1/8th bag of flour remaining.  Mission accomplished. 

These gluten-free and vegan cookies are really amazing because the texture is spot on. Honestly, these are even BETTER than cookies with butter and eggs. Part of the awesome texture comes from the two types of fat (butter and vegetable shortening), so you can replace the shortening with more vegan butter but the texture will be a little more flat, chewy and less fluffy. 

The flax egg is also the best egg replacer I have tried (better than chia eggs and store bought egg replacers, imo). The secret here is to add the water to the flax seed before combining the dry ingredients, so that it has enough time to gel into an egg-like texture. 

This chocolate chip cookie recipe is adapted from the gluten-free genius, Nicole, who is a real hero for GF peeps. Any craving you have, she has a gluten-free recipe to suit. 

The Best Gluten-Free and Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies

• 2 cups gluten free flour
  • 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
  • 6.5 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 6 tablespoons Earth balance buttery spread
  • 5 tablespoons vegetable shortening
  • 1.5 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons water or nondairy milk
  • 1 flax egg: 1 tablespoon flax seed + 4 tablespoons water
  • 1/2 cup dairy free chocolate chips
Catherine Lavallee

Preheat oven to 325°. In a small bowl, add the 1 tablespoon of flax seed and water and stir. Let sit.

Catherine Lavallee

In a large bowl, add the gluten free flour, xanthan gum, corn starch, salt, baking soda, sugar. Mix well!

Catherine Lavallee

Add packed brown sugar and mix well. Make sure to break up any clumps.

Catherine Lavallee

Now, add buttery spread, shortening, vanilla extract, coconut milk, and flax egg. Mix well!

Catherine Lavallee

When the dough is starting to come together and look like dough, add the chocolate chips.

Catherine Lavallee

Mix well!

Catherine Lavallee

Roll into small balls about an inch wide.

Catherine Lavallee

Bake for 15 minutes and enjoy these gluten-free and vegan cookies with a glass of almond milk!

Catherine Lavallee