After a tonsillectomy procedure, it is important to stay healthy and consume a variety of vitamins and nutrients despite the inability to eat anything but soft foods. Two short weeks ago, I had my tonsils removed at 19 years old. While this surgery entails an easy-breezy recovery for young children, it is quite the opposite for adults. Before my procedure, the doctor prepared me for a 10-day road with ups and downs in terms of pain and mentioned that I would not be allowed to eat anything but soft foods for at least that amount of time in order to prevent bleeding. Being a huge foodie and wellness enthusiast, I was nervous that I would not be able to get enough nutrients and that I would slow down my metabolism by not eating enough. Sure enough, I found recipes that I could make and foods that I could eat that would ensure I was getting everything my body needed to fuel a (somewhat) speedy recovery.

Here Are The 6 Main Foods That Got Me Through The 10-Day Recovery Process:

1. Green Smoothie Bowl

I love smoothies. I have a Nutri-bullet blender that travels with me from my college dorm room in Winston-Salem, NC to my home in New York and back. I love loading smoothies with veggies like spinach, cauliflower, cucumber, and kale, and adding in frozen blueberries for a little sweetness and an antioxidant boost. I also always add collagen peptides for a little bit of protein, flax seeds for fiber, and almond milk or almond butter for fat in addition to greens. Nutritionist Kelly LeVeque calls these components the FabFour and recommends incorporating them into each and every meal you enjoy for increased satiety and overall wellness.

2. Chia Pudding

Chia pudding is one of my favorites because of its simplicity and dense nutrient content. Made by blending together banana, almond milk, chia seeds, a dash of vanilla extract, and cinnamon, this is a rich but mushy dish that will keep you full, promote healing after surgery, and also taste delicious. Try to avoid granola on top within the first 10 days of recovery because the rough edges can scrape a scab and cause bleeding when swallowing. 

3. Scrambled Eggs and Avocado

A classic. Scrambled eggs and avocado is a savory breakfast combination that is easy, soft, and packed with nutrients. Although it is tempting, avoid the hot sauce post-tonsillectomy because spicy foods will irritate the open wounds!

4. Mashed Sweet Potato

Mashed sweet potato is a Thanksgiving favorite that is the perfect food after a throat surgery. As an excellent source of Vitamin A, B6, and C, sweet potatoes are sure to promote a healthy and swift recovery. To make delectable mashed sweet potatoes, skin and dice the potatoes into large chunks. Then, boil them in water until tender and strain them in the sink. Finally, mash then with ghee butter, a dash of unsweetened almond milk, salt, and pepper, and ENJOY!

5. Banana oatmeal

Bananas are a great fruit to have on hand at all times. Whether they are in smoothie bowls, oatmeals, or even on their own, bananas are extremely versatile and undeniably delicious. Oatmeal is another great food option post-tonsilectomy because it is soft and easy to swallow. Oats are loaded with antioxidants and fiber that can promote healing and satiety during a time period where it is difficult to eat even when you are starving!

6. Dairy-Free Ice-cream

When I first told my friends that I needed to have my tonsils removed, they were jealous that I had a valid excuse to eat ice-cream 24/7. According to my doctor, however, eating loads of ice-cream to make your throat feel better is a myth because dairy produces excess phlegm which results in more swallowing and therefore, more irritation of the throat. Considering I don't really eat dairy in general, this was not devastating news. Instead of pints of Ben and Jerry's, I found Coconut Bliss Ice-cream which is a new vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, and soy-free dessert brand. The ice-cream is made from coconut milk and uses all natural ingredients that are ethically and environmentally approved. While some days throughout my recovery process I ate a whole pint of this ice-cream (no regrets!), on other days I just had a couple of spoon fulls because the coldness felt great to swallow and certainly helped the painful scabs heal. 

Although I am super glad to be able to eat solid veggies and crunchy foods like Siete tortilla chips again, I will certainly continue to make these delicious recipes and indulge in this creamy coconut coconut milk ice cream because who doesn't love soft, nutritious, and refreshing foods all the time - not just after throat surgery!