Like many of us, I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a fan of ice cream and sorbet. My freezer is no stranger to many high-calorie, full-fat ice cream varieties. Even though these unhealthy treats are undoubtedly delicious, the guilt that accompanies them is not nearly as satisfying. When the cravings hit, try out these three simple recipes for lower-calorie ice cream and sorbet alternatives. All you need is a blender and a sweet tooth! These tasty ice-cold calorie friendly desserts will not disappoint. Incorporating these calorie friendly desserts in your kitchen arsenal will surely help to keep your caloric intake lower throughout the day. These delectable substitutes for higher calorically dense frozen treats will certainly save hundreds of calories.

Grant d’Adesky

Oreo McFlurry

First up, I want to review Remington James’ take on my childhood favorite, the Oreo McFlurry. This cookie and cream packed dessert has twice the amount of protein and half the number of calories as the McDonald’s classic.

Macronutrients: 433 calories, 5g fat, 45g protein, 52g carbs

Ingredient List:

47 g whey protein of your choice (I use Redcon1’s vanilla milkshake MRE Lite)

85 g nonfat plain greek yogurt

85 g unsweetened almond milk

5 g 0 calorie sweetener (I use stevia)

8 g Oreo cookies and creme pudding mix

3 g xanthan gum

40 g Oreo O Cereal

A handful of ice (the more ice you use the more volume your ice cream will be)

After assembling all of the ingredients, be sure to reserve at least 10 g of the Oreo O Cereal to place on top. You simply put all of the ingredients in a blender, preferable a Ninja Blender (it tends to mix better), and pulse until you see a thick, creamy texture. Add the remaining Oreo O Cereal and enjoy!

Grant d’Adesky

Chocolate PB Blueberry Ice Cream

If you’re looking for something more innovative than this childhood classic, IFBB Pro Greg Doucette has created a chocolate peanut butter blueberry ice cream sure to satisfy your tastebuds.

Macronutrients: 355 calories, 7g fat, 44g protein, 33g carbs

Ingredient List:

47 g whey protein (I use Redcon1’s oatmeal chocolate chip MRE Lite)

105 g frozen blueberries

12 g chocolate PB2

3 g xanthan gum

5 g 0 calorie sweetener (I use stevia)

43 g unsweetened almond milk

30 g water

A handful of ice

Simply combine all ingredients in the blender, mix, and enjoy!

Grant d’Adesky

Fruit Sorbet

For a lighter, fruitier treat the following recipe will show you how to sorbet your favorite fruit in minutes. Simply choose any frozen fruit of your liking and combine it with the following ingredients.

Macronutrients: 103 calories, 1g fat, 2g protein, 22g carbs

I used:

140g mixed berries

120 g unsweetened almond milk

5g 0 calorie sweetener (I use stevia)

2g xanthan gum

15g lower sugar fruit juice (I use lower sugar apple juice)

A small handful of ice

Grant d’Adesky

All three of these tasty ice-cold calorie friendly desserts I sampled were uniquely delicious. Whether you’re a fan of the nostalgic Mcflurry, enjoy the classic chocolate PB combo, or like a light, fruity flavor, there’s a treat for you! While lacking in calories, there is certainly no lack of taste. So, enjoy without the guilt...and come back for seconds! These lower-calorie alternatives are simple to make, taste absolutely delicious, and are sure to satisfy your sweet tooth.