I’ve been battling with this thought for a little while now, and maybe you can relate. Eating well is complicated. It’s complicated for a variety of reasons, from ingredient availability and expense, to picking apart a traditional dish that may be culturally significant but also not the most nutritionally sound. I get it. But I also get wanting to eat dishes that taste amazing. I get mixing new and old customs and new and old flavors. I get being inspired by the past and bringing it to the present. I get finding the creativity in food and feeling accomplished in the final product. I get bringing people together around a table and serving nourishing and delicious dishes with love.

So bust out this taco salad next time you’re feeling like you just need a great tasting, not very complicated meal. Invite your friends, they will enjoy it.

Paleo Taco Salad

• Prep Time:20 minutes
  • Cook Time:20 minutes
  • Total Time:40 minutes

• 1.5 lbs. beef bottom sirloin
  • 2 cup beef broth
  • 2 onion diced
  • 1 teaspoon garlic
  • 1 red pepper diced
  • 1 green pepper diced
  • 1/4 avocado
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 medium-large cauliflower head
  • 1/4 cup beef stock
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves
  • 1/2 lime juiced
Photo by Christine Perez

Place chopped onion and garlic in a pan and cook for about 5 minutes, until softened.

Photo by Casey Carr

Dry off beef bottom sirloin and rub with salt and pepper to taste.

Remove the onions and put to the side. Add beef bottom sirloin to the pan and sear all sides.

Photo by Joyce Zhan

Place meat and onions into your slow cooker and add broth.

Set your slow cooker to high for 4.5-5 hours (depending on the thickness of the cut).

Photo by Stephanie Da

To prepare cauliflower rice, chop the cauliflower into medium sized pieces. The smaller the pieces, the easier it will be to grind.

Photo by McKel Hill

Place chopped cauliflower into grinder and pulse until it gets a “rice” consistency. Set aside.

Photo by Laura Bailey

Pour 1/4 cup beef stock into pan and heat up to medium head.

Pour cauliflower rice over beef stock and let it cook for about 10-12 minutes. Stir as much as you can to coat “rice” with the stock and so it doesn’t burn. Add garlic powder.

Once the “rice” is browned, turn off the burner and add the chopped cilantro and lime juice.

Now, take two forks and shred meat while still in the crock pot.

Pile meat (including onions and sauce), peppers and avocado on cauliflower rice and enjoy!

Photo by Christine Perez