In the summer, everyone wants to eat something cold and refreshing. If that’s what you’re looking for, you’ve come to the right place. This spicy noodle delicacy is one of the most famous summer dishes in South Korea, and it’s not surprising why.

It is definitely one of my family’s favorites and it will soon be yours, too. You will find this dish not only refreshing and spicy, but also light and healthy, because of the higher protein content in the buckwheat noodles. Another great thing about this recipe is that it is vegan-ized and great for anyone with food allergies to dairy, fish, and nuts. Furthermore, this recipe is so simple and easy. It’s perfect for the quick lunch or dinner. There’s no excuse for you to not make it.

#SpoonTip: This dish is not for those who can’t handle spicy foods.

Spicy Mixed Cold Noodles (Bibim-naengmyun)

• Prep Time:5 minutes
  • Cook Time:10-15 minutes
  • Total Time:20 minutes
  • Servings:3-5

• 8-10 oz Soba or Naengmyun buckwheat noodles
  • 2-3 cloves of garlic
  • 1/4 cup onion
  • 2 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 3 tablespoon red chili paste (gochujang)
  • 2 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 tablespoon vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 3 green onions
  • 1 cucumber or tomato
  • 1 pinch salt (optional)
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
  • 2-3 teaspoon roasted sesame seeds (optional)
  • 1/2 watermelon (optional)
Photo by Lena Lee

While boiling the noodles according to its package, dice the garlic, onion, and green onion to small pieces.

Photo by Lena Lee

Except for the sesame seeds, tomato/cucumber, and watermelon, blend the rest of the ingredients to create a sauce.

#SpoonTip: If you don’t have a blender, just chop the ingredients as small as you can and mix into a sauce.

Photo by Lena Lee

Top your noodles with the spicy sauce, sliced tomato/cucumber, and sesame seeds. Mix. Feel free to customize/add with any soft greens, juicy fruits, dried seaweed etc.

#SpoonTip: One way to impress others when serving this dish is by plating it in a 3/4 emptied watermelon. This will add a nice touch of sweetness to balance out the spicy goodness.

Now you are ready to eat and enjoy this simple, refreshingly tasty dish.

Photo by Lena Lee