Recently, my school had an outbreak of Norovirus, which caused me to develop an intense phobia of the dining halls. While I have now come back around to them, there were a solid few weeks in February when just the thought of stepping into a dining hall made my stomach churn.

My solution to this dining-hall-a-phobia was to eat as many meals as possible in my dorm room or at a restaurant. However, the latter got pretty expensive pretty quick. Soon, I began eating yogurt or oatmeal for nearly every meal. As you can imagine, that got really, really boring really really quickly. If I was going to survive the Noro epidemic, I was going to have to get a little more creative.

That’s when I started looking up cheap and easy things to make with the appliances found in a dorm room. So, a microwave. It was then that I found this article, which taught me how to cook a sweet potato in the microwave. #score. The thrill of expanding my Noro-phobic diet to include a new food quickly faded as a plain, steamed sweet potato became just as mundane as the aforesaid oatmeal. Again, I had to get creative.

I searched my go-to spot for ideas, Pinterest, for hours until I found something that I thought might work. I stumbled upon a picture of what looked to me to be orange mush topped like an açaí bowl. There’s no doubt that I was skeptical at first, but it piqued my interest so much that I had to try it. Ever since that day, this sweet potato breakfast bowl has been my go-to meal to start the day.

In addition to being delicious, sweet potatoes are chocked-full of nutrients that help get your day going in a healthy way. One medium sweet potato falls right at about 100 calories and is loaded with the complex carbs to give you energy. In addition, sweet potatoes are high in fiber, low in fat, and are a great source of vitamins A, C, and B6, as well as manganese, potassium, and more.

These sweet potato breakfast bowls are guaranteed to make your mornings great and keep you full well into the afternoon. They literally taste like a big bowl of pumpkin pie, and there’s nothing in this world better than eating dessert for breakfast.

Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowls

• Prep Time:5 minutes
  • Cook Time:5-10 minutes
  • Total Time:10-15 minutes

• 1 medium sweet potato
  • 1/2 banana
  • 1/4 cup milk of your choice
  • dash cinnamon
  • toppings of your choice
Photo by Jordan Gottlieb

Cook your sweet potato and remove the skin.

#SpoonTip: Your microwave probably has a pre-set “potato” button.

Photo by Jordan Gottlieb

While your potato is cooking, mash your 1/2 of a banana until its as smooth as you can get it. Add a splash of milk to help get it extra mushy. Now is also a good time to mix in your cinnamon, as it helps ensure you get a kick of spice in every bite.

Photo by Jordan Gottlieb

Add your peeled, cooked sweet potato to your bowl and mash it in with the banana mixture. If necessary, add another splash or two of your milk to help get a smooth consistency.

Photo by Jordan Gottlieb

Top to your heart’s content. I added almond butter, coconut flakes, blueberries, banana coins, and hemp seeds, but you can also top with anything from dried fruit and nuts to granola.

Photo by Jordan Gottlieb