When you run a healthy food blog, you see the newest health trends before they really take off. I've been seeing things like adding collagen peptides to coffee, drinking bone broth, and putting turmeric on everything for months now. One thing that really caught my eye is the newest healthy breakfast trend on the scene — sweet potato bowls.

These bowls are basically made of a baked sweet potato cut open with toppings added. I've seen everything from Greek yogurt, nut butters, granola, fruits, chia pudding, cacao nibs, nuts, and more added to these creations. I love sweet potatoes and eat (at least) one a day, but I was still caught off guard the first few times I saw sweet potato bowls as a breakfast meal on Instagram. It had never occurred to me that this tater could be a breakfast food. After seeing the bowls more and more though, I decided it was time to give it a try.

I made my first sweet potato bowl with coconut-flavored Greek yogurt, Purely Elizabeth maple walnut probiotic granola, and almond butter. From the first bite, I understood the hype. Breakfast sweet potato bowls are all they are built up to be. Here's how I made mine

Simple Sweet Potato Bowl

• Prep Time:1 min

• 1 sweet potato
  • 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
  • 1/4 cup granola
  • drizzle almond butter
sweet potato, sweet, potato, chicken
Megan Rivenburg

Poke holes in sweet potato and microwave in a bowl for 6 minutes.

Cut cooked sweet potato in half and spread open.

Top with Greek yogurt, granola, and drizzle with almond butter.

ice, ice cream, chocolate
    Megan Rivenburg
Not only are they tasty, but sweet potato bowls (with the right healthy toppings) provide all the essential food groups and nutrients to power you through a busy morning until lunchtime. Sweet potatoes are a source of complex carbs, which are necessary for literally everything you do, including burning fat.  From there, you can add Greek yogurt or cottage cheese (if you're one of those people that's okay with the texture) for a boost of protein. Don't be afraid to go full fat with these. Eating full-fat dairy products actually reduces cravings later on.  Granola like Purely Elizabeth is low in sugar and high in the good stuff like probiotics for your gut and healthy fats from walnuts. It's all natural and sweetened with coconut sugar. Chia and hemp seeds are superfoods and are packed with omega-3s and protein to keep you full. Nut butters are always necessary to add, because duh.

Next time you're stuck on what to make for breakfast, or are sick of your daily oatmeal or smoothies, try a sweet potato bowl to switch it up. You may be potatolly surprised (sorry).