Is it still cool to put pumpkin on everything you eat? I hope so, since these pumpkin butters add a certain je ne sais quoi to every bland morning toast. No matter what kind of morning person you are, whether you want the sugary Might As Well Just Be Dessert treats or the Take It Slow and Savory essentials, these butters are going to have you covered.

For our sweet option, look no further than this Pumpkin Apple Butter recipe. Apple is a great classic fall flavor and you can easily smuggle some from your college dining hall to make a sweet treat to brighten the day. But if you have an herb garden or just want to hold back that sweet tooth, look no further than option number two: Pumpkin Herb Butter, featuring some fresh sage, rosemary and thyme. 

They go great in everything from your overnight oats (since you're trying to get with the trend again) or to add a little punch to your breakfast smoothies (since you also like having a little fun). They store easily too, and one batch will stay fresh for the entire pumpkin spice season. But with butters that taste this good, they may not last that long.

Pumpkin Butter Two Ways

• For the Pumpkin Herb Butter:
  • 1/2 browned butter
  • 15 ounces canned pumpkin
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons ricotta cheese
  • 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary chopped
  • 1 teaspoon fresh sage chopped
  • 1 teaspoon fresh thyme chopped
  • For the Apple Pumpkin Butter:
  • 15 ounces canned pumpkin
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
Mia Daniele

For both butters, add all ingredients to a small saucepan and bring to a gentle boil.

Mia Daniele

Lower temperature to medium low heat and let simmer for twenty minutes, stirring constantly. Once the butter has thicken and all excess liquids evaporated, take off heat immediately. Set aside to cool.

Mia Daniele

Spread butter over toast and enjoy!

Mia Daniele