If you’ve been denying yourself sweets for the past few weeks to prep for your summer body, give it up and make this coconut blueberry cake. This superfood-packed cake is chock-full of nutrients from in-season blueberries and coconut oil while being dairy-free (goodbye bloating).
Replace white flour with spelt flour. It’s closely related to wheat but you’ll be getting less calories, more vitamin K (healthy blood and bones) and it has a beautifully light texture in baked goods. It does contain gluten, FYI.
This cake is pretty good for you with its low glycemic index coconut sugar as a sweetener, but better yet its taste and texture will trick even the biggest skeptics of health food.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
¼ cup coconut oil
¾ cup coconut sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon coconut extract (optional)
1 egg (or 2 flax eggs + 1 additional tablespoon coconut oil for vegan)
1 tablespoon lemon zest
2 cups spelt flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup coconut milk or creamer
2 cups blueberries
For the topping: shredded coconut, coconut sugar, oats, cinnamon, poppy seeds
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Zest enough lemon to equal 1 tablespoon.
3. Cream oil and sugar until smooth.
4. Add extract(s) and the egg. Mix until fluffy and light in color, then add lemon zest.
5. Add half of dry ingredients to batter and incorporate completely.
6. Add second half of dry ingredients and coconut milk. Mix until combined.
7. Mix in blueberries.
8. Transfer batter to a greased and floured pan.
9. Add topping: sprinkle cinnamon, coconut, oats and poppy seeds over top of cake.
10. Bake for 30 minutes. Serve with fresh blueberries and a side of dairy-free whipped cream or coconut ice cream.