While the “wind in the hair” look may be attractive on a magazine cover, in these brisk winter months the real thing isn’t quite so glamorous. The biting wind and chilled days make keeping your skin smooth during the winter months nearly impossible. Even indoors, away from the chill, the heater can dehydrate your skin. While drinking water can ease skin dehydration, there are particular foods that can be added to your diet to enhance skin health. I eat 4 skin saving foods that keep me glowing during the winter: mangoes, avocado, kiwi and dark chocolate.

Beginning with the fruits, mango is a source of antioxidants which works to delay the onset of skin aging and pigmentation while protecting and nurturing the skin. Kiwi is loaded with vitamin C and will help your skin be vibrant: assisting skin health by fighting acne and breakouts. Avocados are vital for maintaining good moisture levels in the skin that make it look and feel smooth. In addition, avocado contains vitamins B2 and B3, which are responsible for maintaining balance in the skin and acting as an anti- inflammatory, calming redness and inflammation. While you can eat these fruits as fresh finger foods, what’s better than a skin boosting smoothie? Especially when every ingredient has a skin benefit?

Untitled

Photo by Christin Urso

1 1/2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1/4 avocado halved and pitted
1 handful baby spinach
3 tablespoon walnut pieces
1 cup frozen cubed mango
1 whole, peeled kiwi fruit
1/2 cup frozen strawberries
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
A pinch of stevia (optional)

Directions: 

1. Blend together

The last skin saving food, dark chocolate, has a high percentage of cacao (look for 70% cacao) and is great for hydrating skin. The caffeine reduces puffiness and irritation while the potent antioxidants, called flavonoids, are craved by our skin. Surprisingly, raw cacao has more antioxidant power than wine, green tea and berries, combined! Cacao is also packed with omega 6 fatty acids that increase blood flow and promote cellular healing to work as a  beautifying skin benefit.

Chocolate Almond Kiss Dessert Smoothie

Untitled

Photo by Christin Urso

1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (at least 70% cacao mass)
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 pitted dates
3 heaping tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
1 scoop vanilla protein powder*
Ice

*Use whatever protein powder you prefer: vanilla whey, soy, hemp or almond.

Directions: 

1. Blend together until smooth except small bits of chocolate chips.

These 4 superfoods will fortify your skin to face the winter with confidence. Enjoy!