As a hater of cereal (I know, I know, crazy), these oatmeal pancakes are my favorite healthy breakfast. The ingredients are very similar to a regular bowl of oatmeal — but they are pancakes, which is much more fun! They are not too sweet, so you can add in fun things like blueberries or chocolate chips and top it with syrup or almond butter. They also reheat well in the microwave, so they can last for two to three breakfasts. 

In terms of being a well-balanced breakfast, these pancakes have protein from the milk and oats, fiber from the oats, and not a lot of sugar or fat. As mentioned, the recipe is super customizable, so feel free to toss in some chia seeds, serve with sliced fruit, or add in some cinnamon. I've enjoyed dipping these pancakes into honey, as well as a lemon juice and powdered sugar glaze, so get creative!

Looking to up your breakfast game even more? Add a smoothie to your meal. 

This recipe is also dorm kitchen-friendly and requires only one bowl, a pan, a spatula, one 1/2 cup measuring cup, and a teaspoon. To get the 3/4 cup measurement, use the 1/2 cup and then fill it up again halfway. To get the 1/2 teaspoons only fill the teaspoon halfway (it doesn't need to be perfectly exact). To get the tablespoon measurement put in three teaspoons' worth (the fact that there are three teaspoons in a tablespoon is a life hack that will always come in handy). 

Easy Oatmeal Pancakes

• 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup oatmeal - I use quick oats
  • 1 tablespoon sugar - white or brown
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup milk - I use skim but any fat percentage works
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 egg
  • A dash vanilla - if you're feeling bougie
Lara Jacobowitz

Add all dry ingredients to a bowl and mix thoroughly.

Lara Jacobowitz

Add wet ingredients to the bowl and mix until combined. At this point, add in any mix-ins like chocolate chips or blueberries.

Lara Jacobowitz

Let the batter rest for a minute so the oatmeal can soak up the liquids. You will see that the batter becomes thicker and more homogenous.

Grease a griddle or pan and heat on the stove with a medium flame.

Once the pan is hot, scoop the pancake batter onto the pan. I usually cook the first pancake by itself since it always comes out a bit off. After the first pancake, I'll cook three or four at a time.

When the pancake has bubbles, flip it over and cook it for another minute (or until both sides are golden).

Lara Jacobowitz

Serve with maple syrup, almond/peanut butter, whipped cream, or whatever makes you happy.

Lara Jacobowitz

This recipe makes about 12 small/medium pancakes and can easily be scaled up. 

Next time you are looking for a change from the classic cereal and milk or eggs, remember that breakfast does not have to be boring. Whip up a batch of these pancakes in just twenty minutes to share with your friends or enjoy the pancakes all by yourself. Trust me, these pancakes will make your 9AMs just a bit easier.